My Summer 2021 Chopper Build 1976 XS650...but... a small issue

If the Stator coils are burnt wouldn’t that kill all power output?

There are 2 stator coils on a CDI system. A coil that provides power to charge the battery and a smaller one that provides power to the CDI. That's the advantage of the CDI setup. The ignition system is independent of the charging system.

There are 2 stator coils on a CDI system

...so...being that the stator coils are burnt ...what next ? Hugh seemed to suggest that may be my no start issue.
That would be true if it is the CDI charging coil that is burnt. The battery charging coil is the one most likely to be burnt out which shouldn't affect kick starting the bike.
Note that I say shouldn't :)

That would be true if it is the CDI charging coil that is burnt. The battery charging coil is the one most likely to be burnt out which shouldn't affect kick starting the bike.
Note that I say shouldn't :)
When I try to kick it ...the bike is flat and dead...not even a glimmer of hope.

This picture demonstrates the ignition setup with battery charging. Go over these wires and verify they're properly connected. I tried uploading the newest instructions, but it's 32MB, and I'm only allowed to upload 14mb.
Screenshot_20211111-055135.png
Screenshot_20211111-060012.png

Freakchopper I think you have your answer as to your problem however if you have never done a job like this or do not understand what’s involved to remove that Stator you need to do some reading. There is also a “floating” puller that members share with others that need it. Check the classifieds for the floating tool.

Freakchopper I think you have your answer as to your problem however if you have never done a job like this or do not understand what’s involved to remove that Stator you need to do some reading. There is also a “floating” puller that members share with others that need it. Check the classifieds for the floating tool.
I agree and I appreciate it...you folks are awesome!...and reading is what I am doing right now. The puller I need is around $20...I can get it from Hugh and have it for whenever I need it..notice I say whenever I need it..: )

In post # 88 is the components
Mr Skull had a Link about measuring
And Mr Rusty Pyles has First class or better pictures of measurements in here I have never seen better
And Mr Team Junk is extremely competent
So please do some Measurement and Print here

fex in # 88 there are 2 wires going in to stater ( not sure if already mentioned )
green and red ..With obvious measurements to perform
We can give instructions but we cannot travel there to do it

And Mr Rusty Pyles has First class or better pictures of measurements in here I have never seen better

The measurements have the advantage of ev saving costs .. Perhaps in this case it is not that important
Given the assumption would be Slater and regulator fried ..
The cost i assume would be around $ 200 ..
The ignition unit ?? # 37 --> $ 620
I dont know your financial situation but I have been into the last owner segment ..
Very few would pay $ 620 for an unknown bike

With the measurement conclusions can be drawn and the suspected faulty part taken to an Electric Auto shop for testing or
a cheap Chinese part located for testing
Mr LanzSikva set up a charging for $ 40

http://www.xs650.com/threads/young-boy-vs-xs650.55945/page-11#post-716153

Back