need advice on choosing replacement mufflers

flynoe

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Have a 1975 xs, the mufflers are dented and I would like to switch to either the commando or taper tip mufflers (Mikes) for a shorter exhaust look.

I assume the commando is the quieter of these two choices, I would like a little rumble, not too loud. Will either of these work with my stock head-pipes and still clear the brake attach point, the stock rh pipe is indented to clear this?

Will the mounts on either of these mufflers line up with the factory tabs off of the passenger pegs, or is it a big deal to get the universal mount to fit.

Thanks in advance for the advice. If you are running these and have any pictures.... thanks,

I run the Commandos but on aftermarket headpipes which are probably a bit longer than your originals. I think they're just what you're looking for - a little rumble but not too loud. I think they sound wonderful. They come with a bolt to stick in the baffle to tone them down a bit. I ran them without it for a few days then put it in. I like them better that way, not as raspy.

Commando-MAC.jpg

CommandoMuffler.jpg

Thanks, looks nice. Is that the complete setup from Mikes, or where did you get the headpipes?

Posted via Mobile

The headpipes are MACs. When I replaced the exhaust about 6 years ago, Mike's headpipes weren't available yet, this is what he sold. Today, I would get his. The MACs are OK but don't have the finned head flange like an original or Mike's new replacements. If your headpipes are all beat up, I would just spring for the complete system. You won't have possible mounting issues with your short headpipe and the system headpipes have a tab for bolting to the frame in the original location beneath the footpeg. I had to add a "P" clamp to mine. One more thing - the replacements are 1.5" diameter which is larger than the stockers and will give improved performance.

Back