Need advice on handlebars

davenu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 83 heritage has me leaning forward a little too much want to change my handlebars to something more upright sitting position but not those buckhorns type what do you guys recommend?

Allot of guys don't like the bars on the special. For me I changes them to a basic bar I think it was similar to the original xs may have been called California bars I forget. Anyway I like the "rototiller bars" gives me a nice comfortable ride w forward pegs too, nice, they need to be adjusted right.

Its got I think eurobars on it looks good and its fine for short rides but after having my wrists bent back for while kinda uncomfortable.. something a little higher and pulled back a few inches would be nice to give a upright neutral position....

I find the height of the rototiller bars but they are too narrow. A set of mini apes with an 8 or ten inch rise are very close. but they are spread apart farther.
I took the ones off my 81. Cut one side off part way up the straight part. Welded a slug into the bars. Set the top part on the slug, turn it in/out till it felt good. Welded it solid. Did the same on the other side but I found the center point where they mount. measured from this mark to the tip of the finished bar, set the other side to the same measurement. Welded it up. Found them a bit wide so cut an inch and a half off each bar end. Now they are about the right height pull back and width.
Leo

What about the standard handle bars on the 70's xs650 or bars off a cb550 or cb750?

Hi dave,
'bars are like shoes, what fits one don't necessarily fit another, you gotta try them on.
That said, CB750 bars were too tall for me on my XS650 but fit me just fine on my XS11.
OTOH, the XS11 Standard bars on my XS650 are a perfect fit.

Back