Need help headlight not working

davenu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there have a 83 xs650 recently my battery got really low and headlight didn't go on when I started the bike I then charged battery and everything is working properly however the headlight is dead. I put in a new bulb and checked the fuse and everything looks ok but no headlight... What are the next steps to take to diagnose the problem? Thanks

check for power and ground at the headlite plug. if no power, keep working back until you find it. unlikely, but possible to have a bad new bulb.

Yeah I'd say open up your headlight bucket, check all your connections and ground wire, I'd made sure the ground at battery is good, and on the right side of your bike there are some bullet connections going down aside battery, make sure they are plug in.

On checking with my multimeter the three slotted headlight plug which slot is positive and negative on where to test and what would be the correct voltage output at idle?

Is your wiring stock with all of the components or is it custom? If stock is your charging system working? IIRC there is a headlight relay on the stock wiring that is activated by the charging system. May want to check to make sure that your charging system is working since you mentioned that the battery went low and the headlight would not come on after that. Just a thought.

Back