need help with wiring

6772man

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there are multiple threads on this subject. First off, i searched this with no luck and much confusion. I have what i believe to be a '79 and i need a very simple wiring diagram. I am a power lineman but these little wires scare the hell out of me. I will need headlight hi-lo,brake light tail-light, horn, neutral light, horn, and starter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

the best (simplest) is from sinister cycles...very easyto follow..just do one wire at a time, in about 3 hours you can do a complete bike...all 12v+ run each wire (you call it a home run wire) and each neg wire run each wire...

3 hrs? I spent 16 hours on mine. It was worth it. I guess if you want to use plastic connections n electrical tape it could be done in 3 hrs.

For a basic chop/bobber, I found this one helpful.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 812
3 hrs? I spent 16 hours on mine. It was worth it. I guess if you want to use plastic connections n electrical tape it could be done in 3 hrs.

Easy in 3 to 4 with solder and heat shrink. But i do electrical for a living. :D

I really appreciate the input from everybody. It was a great help. By the way, started choppin' the frame today and i'm stoked. I'll post pics as soon as i get some.

6772man If it has the TCI it has the combo reg/rec. The one tech7 posted is for the older seperate reg rec.
I like this diagram. It shows the basic wiring and you can swap boxes for different options.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 224
Jayel, it does not have points and i dont know the differences between the regulators.
well if it doesn't have points it's not a 79 unless PO changed stuff might want to post your serial number to figure out what you have for sure (something like) ???-???*** will work

i used the diagram xsleo posted above because I found it to be the most detailed and easiest to understand. 20 hrs was about how long it took me.

Hey Jayel, how about 2F0-200299? There was no papers with this bike when i got it so, i'm not sure exactly what i got.

Hey Jayel, how about 2F0-200299? There was no papers with this bike when i got it so, i'm not sure exactly what i got.
2F0-200101 and up is a 1980SG

Attachments

• Model Codes.JPG
    Model Codes.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 174
  • chopper wiring.JPG
    chopper wiring.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 80_XS650G.JPG
    80_XS650G.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 195

1979 XS 650 SF as Jayel said.....OEM stock had points ignition, cast wheels, disc brakes front & rear, last year with Mikuni BS 38 carbs. Who knows what's happened since?

Here's the stock wiring diagram.....determining what you have versus this may be a good starting point before starting on how you want it to be? Blue

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

Back