New '81 Special - time to make the exhaust tasteful

I have the MAC headpipes which may have a bit more upsweep than Mike's. Still, I would recommend the upswept system. But actually, not the "system". That's $299 (on sale at the moment). It's like $25 cheaper to buy the upswept headpipes (Part #07-0757) and Commando mufflers (Part #07-0065) separately.

I would also recommend longer rear shocks, and not stock length but even slightly longer. Most of us use something in the 13" to 13.5" range. Mine are 340mm (about 13 3/8"). Combined with my upswept mufflers, this allows me to pull the rear axle without removing a muffler.

I took off a set of mac style pipes. I bought the mikes new design with big collar head pipes and factory finned clamps when Mike was Mike and the commando mufflers that fit the 1 1/2" pipe. When they first came out. I don't think the kit came out till later. He sold the bracket separately. I didn't need the brackets. So they were out in my garage for awhile before I put them on the bike. I went down on the bike a couple of times old pipes after that. Scrapes and dents on the 10 year old mufflers. I said to myself glad I didn't put on the commandos yet. :D Those new flanges are nice you get full compression of the exhaust gasket and the factory finned collars with new acorns top it off. Worth the change, the skinny flanges did little to support the pipe and crush the gasket properly. The one hanger is all you need. The extra p clamp deters the clean look of the pipe my opinion. If the muffler is supported properly 5twins suggestion the long flat bar in the muffler slide bracket you won't need the p clamp and brackets. Save the $ 20.00 for gas or longer shocks. :thumbsup:

I actually like the looks of those pipes. Are the mufflers rebuildable? Sometimes you can take the baffles out and repack the baffles with new fibreglass. That will change the exhaust note. Even if they are are not glass packs you you might see where you can modify them internally to make them quieter.

Back