New and looking to build a tracker

teaniner

XS650 Member
Reaction score
full
Hi my name is Ted and I have never built a motorcycle but have had ideas for many years. I am a bicycle mechanic and love to take parts to complete a rideable machine. My inspiration is my 2015 salsa blackborow forest service green. For those who don't know what that is, a mountain bike with 5" wide tires that gives great float in soft stuff. I have many questions about what can I do with this build. How fat of a tire? How much travel for gravel roads but keeping looking low and sweet looking. Making a everyday bike that doesn't require must toying around after its done. I use to own a Honda xr400 that I converted street legal for a everyday bike. Loved it but sold it to build a bicycle. I miss it but want something new. I have been making a list of stuff that I want or maybe possible. Any help from you guys would be helpful. I have pictures of my fatbike in a album if ha guys are wondering what the inspiration is.

Are you building the frame or are you buying a frame or are you modifying the XS frame?
How wide a tire, ow wide do you want to go?

Being a MTN bike guy, have a look at what I did for suspension I know you recognize it, maybe that will give you some ideas. Also I use a 250 tire. http://imageshack.us/a/img196/7233/scvo.jpg

Why not build a bike and use dual sport tires so you can ride fire roads as well. Something like this maybe but use an inverted fork from a CRF450 and have it lowered internally.

http://www.malibumotorcycleworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/N48.jpg

For that matter You may want to consider something I did not do but started out wanting to do. Swap an entire XR650 into an XS engine frame combo. Forks, wheels, engine, they make them for dual sport use so it makes a good for for a dual purpose tracker type bike for sure. Here is the first frame I did but did not use where I mocked up an XR650 motor.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/719/img0003mpt.jpg

Good luck!

I have thought a more dirt bike style but like the looks of a xs650. I do plan if possible to be riding the bike on fire roads. Michigan doesn't have a ton of fire roads but exploring is what I want to do on the way home for work.

Tire size is just for the look of a fatbike. New to this I don't know what is possible. Some pics of bikes I see they have the look I am going for.

I'm gonna tease you!

How about a huge front wheel mounted on a Black Sheep Truss style front end?
How about Carbon fiber rear seat stays with a W link seat with a fox float shock the the pic above?

lol
seriously tho, I've got a XS650 frame in mind, not on paper with carbon fiber seat stays and a truss style front end. Not ti tho...

Actually I made some competition shooting bi-pods out of aluminum billet and carbon fiber legs. Once you look into it some and see how bikes are made from CF and find out the correct adhesive and what not, it is actually pretty easy to do. Pretty good neat actually.....

Back