New Bike! not an XS but hey.....

Yamaha_chop

Fabricator Extraordinare
Reaction score
I have a lot of fun building my project bikes, but at the end of the day, they are projects and I'm not exactly comfortable hopping on one to ride 1000 miles. I wanted to get a good reliable bike next year, but decided not to wait.

Here she is: 2009 Buell 1125CR 3k miles and all stock

Buell1.jpg

Buell2.jpg

DSCN1710.jpg

Always loved these bikes, so very happy to get one! Got the one with the high bars rather than the clubmans, I'm glad I did too. I got the bike at a place in Reno NV, which is about 8hrs from where I live. So I drove down there with my Dad, got the bike Friday afternoon, spent the night and rode back the 430 miles on Sat.
For the record my back is really sore today.
Bike rode fantastic all the way back though, although midway through the trip the hydraulic clutch sleeve started leaking like a sieve. Apparently very common on these, so I've got the revised EBR part on the way already. Other than that it's everything I want in a bike and I'm super stoked.
Lots of torque and great power. Going through Hwy 199 which is a very twisty river road it was super flickable and handled fantastic. It's by far the easiest bike to ride fast I've ever had. It's funny, the power is actually very linear on the bike, I think I expected it to be a lot more barbaric, but the whole bike is far more refined than I gave it credit for, which is funny because I was almost let down by how civil it is :eek:nfloor

Here's a couple pictures with its brothers:

DSCN1721.jpg

DSCN1720.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

It's too bad my chop is apart right now otherwise I'd have included that one too :leaving

Thanks for looking!
Sky

Yeah one of these days I'll put some miles on Buell. Thanks for the ride review. Man I like to hear real world bike reports on a how a bike feels and handles.

I'm still amazed at the turbo XS.... I can't believe you made that thing work...that thing is the most impressive bike on this forum IMO

If you wanted "brute" power that would be the XS12. Unrefined as all get out. It you had 40K laying around ya could have gotten one of them new-fangled EBR superbikes they are racing.
So glad to see Eric Buell get some backing and a great motor to work with. The bikes are running better than the KTM this year. Both are in thier "development" year.
I kept the Cycle World article on the Buell that never hit the road. The Barracuda looked cool, but ultimately went to the crusher as part of the dissolution deal with H-D. Eric Buell was allowed to keep a great deal of Intellectual property, but no patented stuff, and not a hell of a lot of hard parts.
Another reason to hate the big H-D I suppose. Couldn't stomach the cost of going racing and improving a brand in the modern era, but they are quick to talk about thier 40 year old flat-track bikes, and the drag racing bikes that contain zero stock parts.
Go Eric Buell!

Back