New cafe racer sunny Vancouver Island

With the 900SS fairing hung off the mount bracket. Now need to work out how to mount the upper and lower waggly ears

Probably aluminium tubes threaded and bolted to t frame, like off the headstock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 111
Build inches yet further forwards. The cognoscenti will realise the fairing mount method isn't mine, I saw it many years ago and filed it away for future use. Next steps, more grp to reinforce the mount points, add front indicators, screen bolt holes and bolts, paint, headlight and begin testing...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 103
Thank you

Ok here's what I have done
Not touched the engine
Frame - removed the centre stand brackets and lower frame rail brackets to fit the exhaust
Fitted: second disc brake and xs1100 mcyl, clip ons, rear sets and remade the linkages, made the seat, finished and fitted the fairing, remade the exhaust 2:1 joiner to fit the existing down pipes to the bought "silencer".
New fork tubes, rear susp units, rebuilt carbs, new tyres and battery, brake pads and shoes, replaced the head and s/arm bearings.

I have retained all the Yamaha electrical system and lights, loosing the battery and electric starter would be too far.

I have built the bike with function uppermost in my mind, in the manner that I would have when I knew these bikes in the late seventies and early eighties, monoshocking and usd forks are beyond my resources, at least at the moment but I would like to build an enduro xs650 if the opportunity presents itself...

Meanwhile, fit the screen and take some artyfarty pictures!

Where did you buy your rear sets from?
Fleabuy, came from India i believe. I bought the wrong ones and needed to become creative, bought the custom bike ones instead of the roadster ones. They work well but don't pivot up. I use a pair of axle stands under them as I ditched the centre stand.

I also was able to tuck the 2:1 in tight, I think if I touch the pipes down I'll have much more to think about than just the pipes touching down...

I've been wanting to use that very fairing on my SG. Are you going to add a XS750 tank? Looks great!

You might want to do some fork travel checking. I think you have the tubes too far up in the trees. Pull a fork spring and compress the lower all the way up. Chances are it's going to hit the lower tree before fully compressed. There's only something like 5/8" of space left with the forks fully compressed.

Back