New chopper build

RatTrap

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here to the forum and XS650 world, not to mention bikes in general. I've just recently bought a '78 XS650 and am starting to get it road worthy and begin chopping it. Not to bore you with the details but so far I have removed the motor and carbs, cleaned and re-installed, put new rubber front and back, replaced front master cylinder, new break pads un-seized rear drum brakes, changed the oil, replaced oil filters, installed new battery, removed air box and installed XS pod filters, new alternator brushes, replaced throttle cable, plugs and certain gaskets.

I was really hoping that I could get some feedback from all the great minds and hands on this site to share their knowledge and experience and inform me as to things that you pretty much know that I should check, replace or should seriously consider investing in. I'm not concerned about such things as accessories that make it look good for now. I'm prepared to spend the money that it will take to make this bike run at it's best so please let me know what I'll need. Please give details taking into account that I am a pretty handy guy but at the moment not very knowledgeable about how to go about checking, installing or repairing this bike. I'm eager to learn what is necessary to get this chopper project off to a great start without having to re-invent the wheel. I will be glad to share photos of the build and pics of the finished Rat bike chopper.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
At the top of this page click TECH. Scroll down to Maintainance and General Trouble shooting, click on Buying Guide, Getting to Know Your Bike.
Lot of good info to get you started.

Back