New guy with an old friend

Dozuki

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
O.K I admit I have been lurking around for a little while and you guys seem to have a prety good thing going here. So I wanted to let you know that I will be asking all kind of questions. I still have my very first bike which just happens to be a 1975 XS650d. I got this bike when i was 16, am conciderably older now, and rode the crap out of it and when i went into the army my brother baught it and rode it for a few years. when I got it back it didn't run but I still wanted it back. Unfortunatly at that time I didn't have any money so it sat and went all over the world with me not running. Now I have a little time and cash I can put into it and I really want to be the one to get the old boy up and running, unfortunatlly I have almost zero mechanical ability so I will be asking all kinds of stupid and obvious questions, just letting you know.
I have the clymers manuel and some space to work in and all winter to get something done. I want to start with the engine since it is just there looking at me and is the heart of my old friend. Thanks in advance.

Paul

Welcome Dozuki. Sounds like the story of one of my bikes, lol.

I have very little considered knowledge and have managed to get on with these bikes fine. Get as many manuals as you can, check out the tech sections and ask lots of questions and it should go ok. Especially as the last couple of owners probably haven't messed with it too much!

Welcome, dozuki. these Guys here can help you on anything, just ask! There is more info here than any manual You can buy. Memorize the manual. Ask lots of questions. Questions are good!

Come on in, the kettle's on and the fire's going but..............

ttwp.gif

We just gotta see the old gal!

OK I will take some pics tomorrow with all extra parts and what not I have gathered. Its not a pretty sight.

Welcome to the board. I have a 75 XS650B myself. biker.net has factory manuals to download. They come up on Ebay regularly. My Yamaha Factory collection covers 70 to 80. I would like to get the ones for 81 and up too.
A little love and yours will run better than when it was new.
Mines a 750 now and she sure likes to run. Awful hard to keep under 70 now. Really have to try. And very smooth, vibes are so low I can actually see in the mirrors at 70.

Get a Yamaha factory manual in book form, and a Haynes or Clymers, and just read them like you would a magazine. In a few weeks you'll be surprised at what you know.

I have a 1975 650B and it is my 1st real bike aside from a few dirt bikes here and there. I am 19 and already have nostalgic feelings about my bike. I can only imagine how you will feel when she fires up again. Congrats on getting here up and going again.

Sorry I wasn't able to get any pics of the old boy today. My wife had me running my ass off all day getting ready for Christmas. So I will try again tomorrow not that its anything great to look at with the engine out and parts all over.

Back