New member from Maryland!!

79xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm joining this site because I am the excited new owner of a 1979 XS650. I am the second owner of the bike, I bought it from the original owner and received all the original paperwork, manuals, and tools with it. She only has 2,830 ORIGINAL miles!!

Here she is when I picked her up:
082.jpg

The previous owner, and my eyeballs, tell me that the bike is completely stock except for the paint. Those are even the original tires...

I re-painted it, added clubman bars, new tires, new fluids, and new battery:
CIMG2277.jpg

CIMG2279.jpg

I rode it for about 2 hours this weekend, and did just under 100 miles. I was suprised by how light and nimble the bike is. It also accelerates quicker than I expected. It seems to cruise nicely at 60 mph 9stock gearing) but really starts to buzz and vibrate above 65 mph (4500-ish rpm). Is this normal?
I'm not new to vintage bikes, I ahve quite a few others, but this is my first Yamaha!

It isnt charging quite right, it only puts out about 12.9 v at 3,000 rpm so I'm changing the brushes this weekend. If that doesnt fix it, I guess i'll torubleshoot the mechanical regulator, stator, or rotor... if you can point me towards a good charging system thread that would be great.

Welcome, neighbor!! I'm in Ellicott City! :)

Beautiful bike, and I like your update! Let us know how the brush replacement works out. Look forward to seeing you around here!

(Looks like a beautiful Chevelle, btw...)

TC

Yeah, i know most people run clubmans the other way, with the bars going lower. I like them this way though...

The lower bars hurt my wrists, and makes long rides not enjoyable... plus big city pot holes and crappy pavement feel a lot worse when i'm bent over farther.

I really like the way that the bends in the bars frame the gauge cluster with the bars flipped up. Plus, its much more comfortable to ride!

Yeah, i know most people run clubmans the other way, with the bars going lower. I like them this way though...

The lower bars hurt my wrists, and makes long rides not enjoyable... plus big city pot holes and crappy pavement feel a lot worse when i'm bent over farther.

I really like the way that the bends in the bars frame the gauge cluster with the bars flipped up. Plus, its much more comfortable to ride!

I bought a bike with the bars setup like that, so you're not alone in that sentiment. It does frame the gauges nicely.

Sadly, the Chevelle belongs to the previous owner of the bike. I took that photo in his garage when I picked the bike up.

I'm currently living in Baltimore, and am realatively new to the area. If anyone knows of a good antique bike club or wants to ride let me know!

I'm in Maryland as well. A trip to Ellicott City to see Tee would be a nice ride.

That would indeed be nice, if we ever get some weather that doesn't require pontoons! :mad: (And Pete, I'm retiring in the spring and need to pick your brain about what to do with my tubbed '85 'Stang anyway.)

TC

i just picked up a 79 today not in the same condition will start the tear down tom. i live in frederick and the only place i know of that works on old jap bikes is a little shop in boonsboro

I live in Frederick too! Yeah, I dont know of any shopt that work on old Yamahas. Dutros Honda is really good for parts and service on the old Hondas... but I'm not sure if they will touch a Yamaha.

I usually prefer to buy the manual and fix stuff myself.

They are nice guys, but their prices are absolutely crazy. They charge 4x what most places do, and they will not do much on older bikes other than basic service.

If you need top notch motor work done, HDFR is the place to go. Its the machine shop across the street from the Yamaha dealer. They started out only doing Harleys, but now they build and race pretty much every bike..

They are nice guys, but their prices are absolutely crazy. They charge 4x what most places do, and they will not do much on older bikes other than basic service.

If you need top notch motor work done, HDFR is the place to go. Its the machine shop across the street from the Yamaha dealer. They started out only doing Harleys, but now they build and race pretty much every bike..

yeah ill check them out some day this week mine is not cranking over at all the guy i got it from thinks never put the kickstart back together correctly. what is your plans for the bike

When I got it all it needed was paint, and the charging sytem fixed. In the photo of the bike above, you can see the new blue paint job that I gave it.

I have read that these xs650 are known for having bad / weak charging systems, and mine didnt charge at all. I replaced the stator and rotor and replaced the regulator and rectifier with solid stste units and put in a new gel battery.

I bought the xs650 to be my new daily driver, so I dont plan on doing anything to the bike other than riding it.

To each their own, but I cant stand hacking up a classic bike to make a chopper or bobber, unless the bike has already been seriously molested. I'm the second owner of this bike, and it only has 3,000 documented original miles, so im not going to mess with it. I like the xs650 just the way it was made.

Yeah mine was sittin for years outside just tore it down to frame today but I do have good compression was not able to get it to start. Thats cool leaving it stock and back to original colors I have stock emblems 650 special and yamaha emblems if you want them

My plans are a basic bobber hardtail with the sportster gas tank. Looking for a vintage old look Keep everything matte black. I work at a welding shop so I have all the equipment I need. this is the first bike I build and it's cheaper then doing an old Harley with the same look and performance. I'll start a thread when I start fabricating the hardtail tom. When she comes together we should meet up and put them side beside your bike now is the same color as mine was today

you right about the tits & wheels,talking wheels are they the std wheels on a 79 love some of those for my 78se,we only got mags in Aus,very nice bike hope you ride the wheels off it & enjoy

Back