New member - introducing myself

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My name is Ray. I live in Adelaide, South Australia.
I have been following this forum for 6 months and love the knowledge and the way you guys treat each other.
I have a XS650D - it is a work in progress. So far I have rewired it, nothing fancy, just simplified things a bit.
I have some new parts for it (clutch, rubbers etc) as its pretty tired in places. This forum is giving me more confidence to start tackling some of the repairs myself.
The mudguards (fenders) and tail light are away getting chromed at the moment and after I get them back I will post a picture of the bike.
I have attached a couple of pictures of some of the wiring upgrades.
Thanks for accepting me into the forum.
Kind regards Ray.

Attachments

• P1030663.JPG
    P1030663.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 162
  • P1030665.JPG
    P1030665.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 154
  • P1030666.JPG
    P1030666.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 155
My name is Ray. I live in Adelaide, South Australia.
I have been following this forum for 6 months and love the knowledge and the way you guys treat each other.
I have a XS650D - it is a work in progress. So far I have rewired it, nothing fancy, just simplified things a bit.
I have some new parts for it (clutch, rubbers etc) as its pretty tired in places. This forum is giving me more confidence to start tackling some of the repairs myself.
The mudguards (fenders) and tail light are away getting chromed at the moment and after I get them back I will post a picture of the bike.
I have attached a couple of pictures of some of the wiring upgrades.
Thanks for accepting me into the forum.
Kind regards Ray.

Hi Ray and welcome,
new chrome eh? Gawd, there's posh!
Agreed about replacing rubber bits, the stuff the bike came with is WAY past it's "best before" date.

Hey Ray, Welcome from the Far North.......Wiring looks to be real good................ Is the bike an import or Aussie original??...........Do you have a schematic?

Last edited:
Welcome Ray - from Canada's sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario!

We may be pretty far north, but the weather isn't always sh!tty....except from December to March.

More photos please - we do like photos.

Pete

Thanks all for your welcome. 650skull - what do you mean "semantic".
I may get my chroming back tomorrow, so may have some photos next week.
My plans for the bike are just tasteful (my opinion only) mods. It will lean towards stock/standard.
Hope I dont bore you, but the changes so far are - rewired (slightly simpler) including fuse box and relay - smaller homemade mirrors - rear blinkers mounted just under the rear of the seat so the wires and bracket are not visible - short stem blinkers - PMA - Boyer - stainless spokes - daytona handlebars.
My "Wish list" includes XS1 style complete exhaust and i would like to find a way to fit the chrome flash from the XS1 side covers to my D model side covers.
Kind Regards Ray.

I noticed your running 5 fuses. Schematic is referring to a wiring diagram.

Last edited:
. . . changes so far are - rewired (slightly simpler) including fuse box and relay - smaller homemade mirrors - rear blinkers mounted just under the rear of the seat so the wires and bracket are not visible - short stem blinkers - PMA - Boyer - stainless spokes - daytona handlebars.
My "Wish list" includes XS1 style complete exhaust and i would like to find a way to fit the chrome flash from the XS1 side covers to my D model side covers.

Those sound like tasteful mods. Personally, I would think twice before changing things like the side-panels - the D is a well-loved model and a lot of the appeal and value resides in the tin work. But not trying to tell you what to do - looking forward to seeing where you go with the bike! Cheers, Raymond

650skull - I started out studying a standard USA wiring diagram and designed a simpler one from that. I purchased most of the different coloured wire, heat shrink and pvc sleeving from an Aussie company called Rapid Cables (brilliant service). I have 4 fuses for (marine fuse box) all the ancillary stuff and one main fuse that feeds it via a relay that is switched by the Ignition Switch. I use a Triton blinker relay (not load sensitive). The amount of wire/connections in the headlight is about 1/3 as many which makes fitting the lens back into place a lot easier. I put some effort into making sure I had good earth connections by running separate earths back to a central point. 3 of the 4 fuses have to look after 2 circuits each, which leaves 1 fuse dedicated to the Boyer.
Sorry, I forgot to answer one of your questions - the bike was imported from USA by a bike shop in Adelaide called Yamaha retro Spares.
All my terminals are done using the proper ratcheting crimper and soldered where needed.
You are a big contributor to the forum - I might ask you for some contacts in Australia, if thats ok.
Regards Ray.

Raymond - yes I get what you mean - that chrome flash doesnt fit the D model side covers correctly - my tin work has been resprayed in original Bountiful Blue with correct transfers, so it looks good. Its just a "wish" thing and I probably will never do it - I just love the style of that chrome flash.
Regards Ray (good name by the way).

Can do anything with paint..........Raymonds 78SE has an XS2 paint job.........
http://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/page-40
http://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/page-22

here is a 78/79 Special painted to loo like an XS1 with the chrome painted on the side-covers
79 XS 1.JPG
Any help i can do just ask........used to belong to the Aussie 650 club but they have gone over to the dark-side, (facechook), and i'm just not into that.......

Thought maybe you might have had a drawing........

Curious about the history of the bike as i have been collecting the vin no's to confirm on a Vin chart........havent got an aussie 77D

Back