New member, old rider, looking at a '78 Wednesday.

btl68

Misanthropist for the day
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long-time rider, currently riding the snot out of a very nice 1993 Honda VFR750F.

Anyhow, I found a 78 SX650 Special in very good condition with 13k on the clock.

What, besides the usual stuff one looks for, should I keep in mind for this particular bike to look for?

Any help appreciated. If it looks as good as the pics show, I'll pick it up. It does run currently, and I'll be able to take it out for a decent ride (30 minutes or an hour).

Brian

Look inside the tank to see the condition. Make sure both cylinders are firing properly. I would say the most notorious problem is the charging system, bring a volt meter and look for I believe 14.5 volts @ 3K rpm. I may be wrong, sure someone will chime in before Wednesday.

I honestly don't know. There is a stator, rotor, reg/rec. There is a whole troubleshooting I have bookmarked since me and my dad are still fixing my charging system. The important part is to check the voltage across the battery @ 3K rpm to determine if you have a problem. If so, go here: http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3461 Hope that answers your question, electrical was never my strong suit.

Picture of it. Not the greatest picture, but promising.

Attachments

• rsz_1xs650.jpg
    rsz_1xs650.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 106
If it runs half as good as it looks that would be a nice steal. I can't even find one for sale around here and when I do they want at least $1,500 and it's not half as nice as the one you are looking at. Good job man, better hope no one snatches it out from under you.

You and me share the same philosophy about things in life. I got mine for $500 running on one cylinder due to clogged carb with a faulty charging system. The guy said he had someone coming look at it before me but I could come at the same time. I said go ahead and I would call him after and see if the guy came. He didn't so I took it.

Is the charging system a 3-wire stator
Yes, three white wires come from the stator to the restifier which is under the battery

regulator/rectifier?
Regulator is on the left side of the battery box, I believe has 3 wires coming from it, green, brown, black and the rectifier in on the bottom of the battery box

All this is from memory, take it with a grain of salt sort of thing!

Lawrence

Just the usual old bike stuff. Tires chain, fork seals, swing arm bushings, steering bearings, brake overhaul, charging rotors, compression, carb cleaning, probably the usual suspects. No real gotchas if the engine runs and it isn't bent. Labor and reasonably priced, readily available parts to get it to top cruising condition.

Back