New Old XS in Excess

puskrat

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I mentally masturbated this thing to death, and I'm finally buying (stealing) a bobber base from a coworker. (78 XS650) This site has turned the project into a money pit before I even get the thing titled. (Thanks Guys) Things I know I need to do include an ignition upgrade, a PMA charging system, and a capacitor for battery "swap". I've searched, I've read, and I've studied, read and searched some more. It was the thread on HHB PMA that got me, when (I think) I remember it saying to do this swap you need to replace the ignition system first. That brings me to my question......what's the order? PMA then ignition then batteryless? ignition then charging then capacitor? Help! I'll be brain picking for a long time, as I want to go low and stay soft, and already have those questions brewing too. Thanks gang.

Does your alternator work? Change your iggie first. If it isn't, change to PMA or get the OE working and save the $$$. Or am I missing something?

Your 78 has points, they work just fine with a PMA. You only "have" to upgrade the stock ignition if your bike has the TCI.
The TCI uses a magnet in the stock rotor and a set of pickups on the stock stator. When you do the PMA swap it eliminates both of these things so the TCI won't work.
Now if you have the stock charging system rotor and stator Even if they don't work Install them on the engine. Use a battery to power the coils and points. Set the points gap and timing.
Now set the marks to TDC. If your can remove the stock parts without turning the engine and installing the PMA with out turning the engine, it's easy to add the marks for the timing on the PMA.
Now wire up the PMA to a battery, Now you can run the bike on the points and test the PMA for proper function with the battery. If the PMA works fine replace the battery with the cap and test the PMA for function with the cap.
Now once you have determined it charges ok, you can decide if you want to upgrade from the points to a Pamco.
To add the Pamco, just follow the install instructions on the ignition website.
It's recommended to run the Pamco off A separate battery to test the PMA but if you ran the bike with the points and tested it both with a battery and a cap, and found no issues then just wiring it should be ok.
I might run it on the points for a while to be sure the PMA is working well.
If the POMA has voltage issues it will run with the pints and not hurt things much. If it has voltage issues and you run the Pamco, these voltage issues can hurt the Pamco.
Leo

Back