New stock air filter for '79?

rezajan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so in pulling out my air filters yesterday to inspect them, I noticed a hole in each of them about 1 inch in diameter in the yellow fuzz/foam material, both on the sides facing each other inside the air box. Obviously they need to be repaired or replaced.

Is there an easy/long-lasting/not-shitty-for-my-bike way to do that?

If not, and I need to replace, I checked up and the OEM part number for the filter element is 533-14451-00 (I'm running a 1979 XS650). Are there any other model numbers you know of that will work just as well and pop right in without modification? What should I be expecting to pay for a new filter element online?

Also, is the MikesXS filter element available here (http://www.mikesxs.net/product/41-1501.html) going to work on my bike? It looks most similar to what I've got in there right now, but its not an exact match.

Lastly, those holes have likely been there for a bit, month or two at least. I don't live in a very dusty area, but could I be looking at significant damage to my carbs/engine as a result?

Cheers,

Reza

No, the filter you reference is not correct.

For a 79 you want the mikesxs # 15-0653 (assuming you have the stock air boxes). Its the same one I have used on my 78SE for 6 years now, and they work quite well. Each year, I remove mine and clean them with soap and water.

Thanks for that! Don't know how I missed it on there, that is helpful. $32 each is going to get steep especially since I have holes in both of them. Know of anyplace where I can get them cheaper, or of a good repair method for my current ones? And thank you again for all the help so far!

Cheers,

Reza

Thanks for that! Don't know how I missed it on there, that is helpful. $32 each is going to get steep especially since I have holes in both of them. Know of anyplace where I can get them cheaper, or of a good repair method for my current ones? And thank you again for all the help so far!

Cheers,

Reza

Don't try to repair the old ones, they're just garbage now.

If you're on a tight budget, here's a link that will help you out.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Fuel&action=display&thread=7303

Don't know of a cheaper place.

If the pleated paper filter part is good, you could probably hot-glue some new foam around the outside.

Not sure that's a place I'd pinch pennies tho.

Back