New to the site and to xs650's would like some help on price. Thanks!!

JuanRambo

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a 1980 xs650 he is asking $2,800 brought him down from $3,400 I had originally offered $2,300

This is what he said he has done to it:
new clutch assembly
new clutch cable
new chain
new fork seals
new tail light
carbs have been cleaned and rejetted
pod filters

Cylinder compression is 140 Dunlop tires are good 90% tread Electric and kick start, first try

I don't have experience with these bikes, it'll be my first. What do you think about the price? good? bad? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :thumbsup:
NKnUGPl.jpg

oq659Oo.jpg

check to make sure it's charging (charging system is most comon to have problems )
not sure about the price out there that a little high here in ohio 15-1800 around here.

Do you want it? Do you want it enough to plunk down $2300? The only person who needs to be happy in this deal is you.

JuanRambo, read this thread, started by someone wondering the same thing as you: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32854 Pretty thorough discussion and relevant points to consider. Personally I don't think the bike is worth a thousand bucks, let alone $2800. Check with your Department of Motor Vehicles. It might need a mirror or two and turn signals. The front end needs at least a fork brace. The pods may be Emgos, or some other cheap brand, and probably restrict the airflow to the carb diaphragms. Even though the tires have tread, they could be 10 years old or older. I think the gas tanks been repainted, rattle can that may blister when gas hits it? Did you look inside the tank to see if it was rusty? Did the fellow do the work himself, or have it done at a reputable garage?

2 cents; looks a bit slap dash. I see an easy $1000 plus labor before it's an "every day rider" But what do I know?

A question I like to ask an XS650 seller that claims the bike needs nothing or it's in "great shape". How was the sump filter? Don't let him blow this question off. If he gets a rabbit in the headlights look, can't or won't answer, move on, the bike is a sub $1000 project. This will quickly show up an "angle grinder custom" kind of guy. Which this bike looks to be. Spend a few minutes with the search on here using sump filter you will see how critical this is to the health of the engine.
He also did not say steering bearings, or swing arm bushings, two items that come way before the angle grinder work on any bike you might want to own.
Be aware that any XS with pods and modded pipes is a holed piston waiting to happen unless the carbs have been rejetted by someone who knows something about doing it.

Back