New to xs650.com Showin off my buy

SpoogeMCMM

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All. Ive been looking to buy an xs650 for a long time now and last year i settled on a virago 750 for 200$ instead cause i couldnt find an xs in my price range. Man that was a mistake. i dont know why, but i think this bike had a curse on it. got it bobbed and ripped the wiring off it and got everything cool and had it about road worthy and ended up putting like 800 into it. what a mess. so the other day i was looking at the local detroit craigslist and found a 78 xs650 special complete for 450. so i went out and talked to the guy and talked him down to 375 for it and i grabbed it and took it to my shop (friends garage with 13 bikes in it lol) and we looked at it for a second and started talking ideas. and i told him what i say were doing. ive already dove into this project feet first and ordered the 12" ape hangers for it (TCBros), im working on getting my dad to cnc out some parts to make forward controls at his work, simple wiring (TCBros), starter motor block of plate (from mikesXS), and ive got a single springer seat with 4" springs that im pulling off the virago and going to put on this. TCBros weld on hardtail kit is one of the next things, thats going to make the biggest difference i think. so im going to be posting pictures of the progression on here and i hope you all like it. please feel free to give me any ideas/tips/hints along the way as you can. i appreciate it

heres a picture of it as i got it. i have the seat which im not usin and the exhaust sitting in the garage.lemme know what you think. good buy?

Attachments

• 78650spec.jpg
    78650spec.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 195
you should get the bike going before you tear it down. Getting any problems sorted out now will save you a lot of time and later on down the track when sorting out issues. Makes it a lot easier for the members to answer questions later. Read this

yeah. thats whats going to happen this weekend. going to put the starter block off plates in and put the exhaust on and plug in the plug and play wiring from tcbros and see if i can get it started. the guy told me it was all there but then i noticed the starter was missing when i got it back and of course now he wont answer my calls. surprise surprise. whatever. not in bad shape for 375$. has awesome compression and turns over really freely

What a piece of....... Just kidding. Welcome. 650Skull is right on, get the engine and wiring all sorted out first, then do the other stuff. I like to tell stories (not tall tales), so, my friend has his CB750 sitting in the garage all hardtailed, wheels, bars, looks great. Too bad the piston rings are shot. All that time and money to play driveway biker.

thats no good. we have 2 cb750s in the garage right now, 3 virago 750s a kz1000 another honda drag bike, and 3 more kawasakis i dont know what they are. so i know what you mean, first things first. make it run lol.

ive got a noob question. what is the kind of gas tank that everyone puts on theyre xs bobbers? i am thinking its like an older HD sportster like 70s? here is a picture that is almost exactly what im going to make mine look like and i want the tank as similar to it as i can, does anyone know what it it, or where i can get one at a not arm and leg price?

Attachments

• xs650-chop-noid-SUB_1-587x469.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-SUB_1-587x469.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 138
those are sometimes called sportster peanuts, and are found everywhere online, factory and aftermarket.

i also have a quick question, so i found a red sportster tank for 60$ in great shape. what modification am i looking into having to do to make it work on the XS? do i need to put in a second petcock and move them to the tail of the tank? im still a newb when it comes to fabbing and moding parts to make work on the bikes theyre not made for

Back