New XS rebuild.... electrical help

frankmackie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello all,
new to the forum. I bought a 77 xs650 for a moderate cafe project.
had some serious shorted + fried wires throughout the harness off mikesxs so i bought a new harness and am changing/upgrading the entire electrical system. also bought new handle bar switches, a pamco ignition coil kit (which i wont install until all other electrics are solid and bike is back running), solid state rectifier/regulator, (this replaces both units correct?)..., also got a new LI battery (plan on relocating battery perhaps to bottom of swingarm as i want to keep a dbl seat), new gauges with integrated signal light, oil, neutral and hi-beam indicator,
in short, ive got the new harness wired up but want to get rid of the excess clutter and bulk components i dont need/want.

anyone know what relays i can remove straight away?
also, what other electrical components could i take off or bypass without issues?

im looking to simplify:
IN SHORT, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT I CAN SIMPLY UNPLUG, AND WHAT I CAN UNPLUG THAT WILL REQUIRE A JUMPED WIRE OR MODIFICATION OF SOME SORT
- at the moment i plan on keeping blinkers (but will get new, small ones and relocate etc
- def dont need a cancelling unit for blinkers ... just unplug?
- how about headlight relays (are there 2?, or maybe one is a blinker unit... have to retrace wires as i forgot... actually, i think one is a relay that keeps light off until bike starts right?):confused:
anyway any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Start anew young man...start anew.

With all the modifications your doing its best time you understand wiring on the bike. Send me a PM and I can tell you what each color wire does and where it'll need to go.

grinder... going to do electric and leg kick to start (may change down the road but for now, thats i will do it)
pheller.... i am just getting to learn all of the elecrtrics as i just did a full wire harness swap and am dealing with rats nest in headlight of tracing wires etc.. i know im a noob but cant figure out what "pm" means (sorry)... the bike is a 77 xs 650 (d i think, if that matters). the new harness i bought is in already. i plan on using that to get it running, relocate parts etc... then do my own harness perhaps down the road. any help appreciated and thx

PM, private message. If you click on his name a window pops up. Click on send pm and you can use the sites email to send a message.
On each item if you search it you will find out how to bypass. Things like reserve lighting unit, self canceler, light checker. There are other things, just can't recall right now. If you are keeping the starter then keeping the safety relay is a good idea. Protects the gears between the starter and engine.
I, as PHeller reccomends, a fresh start from scratch is about the best way to go.
On the 77 the headlight on/off switch keeps the headlight off till the engine starts, then you turn it on.
Leo

thanks all.... been busy building a battery box and positioning my components. rect/reg, starter coil etc. just trying to cut excess, simplify and clean up/shorten the loom. i will post pics as i am able

thanks all.... been busy building a battery box and positioning my components. rect/reg, starter coil etc. just trying to cut excess, simplify and clean up/shorten the loom. i will post pics as i am able

frank any updates on your wiring? I'm doing exactly the same thing with pma, pamco, li battery, new switches, led turn signals and rear stop/running light and am sitting here looking at my dog with the same puzzled look he has on his face...... got a new harness from mikes and believe I've located tacho, rear stop light checker, regulator, rectifier, flasher relay and rear stop light switch. Problem is my manual I bought from ebay isnt the clearest and im struggling, really struggling. I will give the harness to the dog shortly....... :banghead:

Nice one Dakota! That's a real help, thank you. Another question for you - how/where do I introduce one of mikes mini gauges with led notifications? I'm definitely going to have a solid crack at this wiring as I refuse to quit. Thanks again Dakota

Actually I got it, Im just going to follow another schematic diagram from another thread I found on this site:thumbsup: . I am pretty sure I should be right. I'll run it by the dog to gauge his response.... Thanks again

Back