Newb, just posting up to say Hello.

Bobdabuilder

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello! :D

Thought I'd post up and say how much I enjoy the site. I've been a lurker for a while, and I just picked up a 72 xs650 basket case that I'm planning to cafe. That's my thoughts right now anyway. Seems like it's either that or straight restoration. This being my first motorcycle build I'm still feeling it out. Picked up my bike for 300 bucks, and so far it's all there. Not all together, but all there and the motor seems like it's just fine. I've stripped what was left on the frame, and I'm going to work over the welds, add a little rod in the bare spots and generally strengthen and smoothe it out. Since I've got the motor out I'm planning on rephasing as well. once I've got the running gear working well, I'll work on style. Anyhoo, long post. I'll put up pics when I get em.:thumbsup:

Welcome aboard the XS650 party. Don't want to pop your bubble (really) but the 72 and earlier frames are a little on the weak and flexy side compared to the later units. Oh the 72 and part of 73 front end are a bit different than any other year also and few parts will interchange. Just a heads up to do your homework as you decide what you are going to build. Not that a cafe racer CAN"T be done from 72 parts but it will be a bit trickier and you will have fewer options. That said it is not unlikely that swaps of some parts may have already been done somewhere in the bikes past. The good news is that some of your early bike parts gas tank seat side covers as an example if in good condition have rather high value to those doing restoration projects. And good condition does not have to mean perfect, stock paint even with "patina" is highly desired by some.

gggGary, thanks for the heads up! After the tear down, and looking at all of the great bikes and builds on this site I've come to that same conclusion about the frame. I'm already working on gusset patterns! I'm wondering about the headset though...like I said, I'm not yet married to a specific type of bike and I know that one way or another I can build a suitable bike out of what I've got. I may not keep it, but I know I can build it. Taking pics tonight.

Back