Just introducing myself.

Picked her up! Pretty instantly (as in I hadn’t even left the guy’s driveway) pulled or tore a muscle slipping off the kicker from foolishly not being properly positioned. Had a great ride home and got a bit of a feel for the bike. Those killer slash cuts scrape if you turn too hard but like I said they’re going. Anyway thanks for all the help and the welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_6540.jpeg
    IMG_6540.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 29
I’m picking up a ‘77 XS650 tomorrow. I’d had ‘66 Triumph before and loved it for years, made it my own, made some good memories on it. I had no choice but to sell it one day. I told my new wife recently I’ve dreamt of it four nights in a row. We’re sitting there with the kids and she’s suddenly reading off listings. I thought it was over for me but she wouldn’t have it. I happened to find this XS, locally and in my price range. I’ve got some plans for it and since it’s not exactly all original anyway I’ll make a mild custom. I’m not majorly cutting it up. Something along the lines of a scrambler in style and some of what’s coming out of Japan these days. First I’ve got to make adjustments to fit my short stature. View attachment 272046
Firstly, Welcome.

That is a real nice example of an original factory 78E Standard. Should have a lot of fun on it, your bike and if you want to Hardtail it, it is your money and bike.

Only 2 things...........Edit: 3 (Clutch Master cylinder),................... i see that are not factory original. First the mufflers, Second is the seat-cover. 2 models in 78 and the cover is for a 78 but for the Special model 78SE, not the Standard 78E.

An original 78E in Star Black Tins
1 1n.JPG

Any problems at all, Ask. Do not buy anything before Asking first.

Made this up to help identify the different models, it also includes information and tip bits, (Post #7) that relate to these older bikes. A seat from Texivana will help with your height. Lowering the bike front and back will help as well, but a caution, lowering the front to much, can cause the guard to hit the bottom of the triple. small increments with a flatter seat should help,

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Last edited:
Firstly, Welcome.

That is a real nice example of an original factory 78E Standard. Should have a lot of fun on it, your bike and if you want to Hardtail it, it is your money and bike.

Only 2 things i see that are not factory original. First the mufflers, Second is the seat-cover. 2 models in 78 and the cover is for a 78 but for the Special model 78SE, not the Standard 78E.

View attachment 274011

Made this up to help identify the different models, it also includes information and tip bits, (Post #7) that relate to these older bikes. A seat from Texivana will help with your height. Lowering the bike front and back will help as well, but a caution, lowering the front to much, can cause the guard to hit the bottom of the triple. small increments with a flatter seat should help,

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/
The bike is in amazing shape

One part that is unobtainable for this year bike is carburetor boots with vacuum barbs. If those are damaged somehow you will need to make some mods to replacement parts to be able to sync your carburetors.

For any jetting questions ping 5twins. He has the same bike and knows his stuff.

Wot they all said!

Kickstarting is all technique. As @XSTime said, you can do it on the centre stand, till you get used to it. Feel for compression - push down slowly till you feel resistance, push a little bit further till you feel resistance again (2nd bump of compression), bring lever up to top of stroke, and make one good, long, slow kick.

Try kick starting while the bike is on center stand. Manually feel for what seems to be compression and kick it. 👍

Thanks. Yeah it was just poor foot positioning and being unfamiliar. The bike was on an inclined driveway. My last bike was kick only and had no center stand. I just straddled it with a little lean, felt for compression and kicked. But the center stand made it so tall and awkward for me.

One part that is unobtainable for this year bike is carburetor boots with vacuum barbs. If those are damaged somehow you will need to make some mods to replacement parts to be able to sync your carburetors.

For any jetting questions ping 5twins. He has the same bike and knows his stuff.
Good to know, will jot that down on the post-it note stuck to the cover of the dirty old manual that came with it. Even just this little intro thread has offered me so much knowledge, let alone the forum at large. Thank you.

Firstly, Welcome.

Only 2 things...........Edit: 3 (Clutch Master cylinder),................... i see that are not factory original. First the mufflers, Second is the seat-cover. 2 models in 78 and the cover is for a 78 but for the Special model 78SE, not the Standard 78E.

View attachment 274011

Thanks for a thorough and thoughtful reply. No, I won’t be hardtailing it. A couple of decades of tattooing and now parenting in my 40s have me looking for ways to take care of my back, not put it through more!

I just found out there’s a reputable classics upholsterer two blocks away (I’m new to where I live) so I’ll talk to him about trimming down the seat and covering it in a way that’s more to my liking. But we’ll see. I quite like the looks of the Texavina seats. I’ll enclose a pic of one I liked for this bike. The exhaust will go, either the mufflers or the whole setup depending what info I find here. I’ll let performance lead, followed by looks and sound. Having a ride on it made me feel like I have to do less to get the height down so I’ll proceed in small increments. Thanks for the link and all the solid info.

Attachments

• IMG_6489.jpeg
    IMG_6489.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
. . . Having a ride on it made me feel like I have to do less to get the height down so I’ll proceed in small increments . . .
Not the first time I've heard that, getting used to the bike and everything.

From all you've said, confidently predict you're going to have a lot of fun with your lovely '78 XS.

as you get to know the bike, there are ways to keep it looking stock with some modifications really make it better and safer. Minton mods is a good start, but checking through the tech section on this forum is a must. I immediately upgraded the chassis: bronze swingarm bushings, conical steering stem bearings, progressive 13.5" shocks and gold valves/race tech springs out front. a smaller master cylinder front brake caliper, braided brake lines and Vesrah cintered brake pads. all of that made the bike feel much more modern in handing and stopping.

Last edited:
as you get to know the bike, there are ways to keep it looking stock with some modifications really make it better and safer. Minton mods is a good start, but checking through the tech section on this forum is a must. I immediately upgraded the chassis: bronze swingarm bushings, conical steering stem bearings, progressive 13.5" shocks and gold valves/race tech springs out front. a smaller master cylinder front brake caliper, braided brake lines and Vesrah cintered brake pads. all of that made the bike feel much more modern in handing and stopping.

Thank you. I’ll be revisiting this reply because while it is a fun ride I wouldn’t mind smoothing a few things out. I’d love to get the cornering help from taller shock but can’t afford the height with my build. Would just lowering the front a little achieve similar results? Like is it a rear to front ratio kind of thing?

Lowering one end without the other changes the geometry of the bike by shifting more weight forward or back. This alters the way the bike will respond when cornering.

From everything I have read and heard, progressive springs and emulators are not compatible.

Thank you. I’ll be revisiting this reply because while it is a fun ride I wouldn’t mind smoothing a few things out. I’d love to get the cornering help from taller shock but can’t afford the height with my build. Would just lowering the front a little achieve similar results? Like is it a rear to front ratio kind of thing?
most advise lowering the front by 0.25" - 0.5" inches is a good thing. need to bring more weight to the front. For any bike, it is critical to set the suspention for one's weight and final geometry. Give Michael Morse a call at 650central.com. He will advise you on spring rates and many other things. He is one of the OGs in XS650 world.

most advise lowering the front by 0.25" - 0.5" inches is a good thing. need to bring more weight to the front. For any bike, it is critical to set the suspention for one's weight and final geometry. Give Michael Morse a call at 650central.com. He will advise you on spring rates and many other things. He is one of the OGs in XS650 world.

Thanks for the tip. I’m just learning who’s who. I went from thinking of a bike to a deep dive into XS650s in about a week. On my Triumph I had custom Hagons shocks and was able to talk to them about what I wanted, my weight, riding style. Front end remained stock. Lots to look into and upgrade but that’s half the fun, right?

Back