Just introducing myself.

Lowering one end without the other changes the geometry of the bike by shifting more weight forward or back. This alters the way the bike will respond when cornering.

From everything I have read and heard, progressive springs and emulators are not compatible.

Ok thanks. I’m going to be honest with you and maybe it’s because my only bike was even older, some of these words are new to me. Time to hit that search button and catch up. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks for the tip. I’m just learning who’s who. I went from thinking of a bike to a deep dive into XS650s in about a week. On my Triumph I had custom Hagons shocks and was able to talk to them about what I wanted, my weight, riding style. Front end remained stock. Lots to look into and upgrade but that’s half the fun, right?
Hagons are good on this bike too. It just weighs 100 lbs more than the old Triumphs.

Thanks for the tip. I’m just learning who’s who. I went from thinking of a bike to a deep dive into XS650s in about a week. On my Triumph I had custom Hagons shocks and was able to talk to them about what I wanted, my weight, riding style. Front end remained stock. Lots to look into and upgrade but that’s half the fun, right?
I have a set of Hagon rear shocks here in their box just waiting to be fitted to my 77 XS650D. Sometime in the next few weeks.

Your bike being a “Standard” model has slightly longer shocks than a “Special” of the same year (78/79)
You could source some take off Special shocks to try, assuming you find ones that are not dead.
Then there is the Standard chain guard , which has a cut out for clearance of the stock shocks.
When you go for new shocks sometimes the diameter and position of the new spring interferes with the standard chain guard. You can source a chrome “Special” chain guard which has more cutout for those Special shocks too.
Check in to it ~

The cut-out in a Special chain guard may not align with the more upright Standard shock mounting position. It's farther forward to align with the more laid down Special shock mounting angle. I encountered sort of the opposite problem when fitting a TX750 chain guard (Standard style) on my Special. But it was nothing a little gentle "massaging" of the guard wouldn't fix, lol.

IMG_5610.jpeg

A Special chrome chain guard did fit nicely without modification in this application using Triumph shocks which were even fatter in spring/body diameter. These shocks were longer than stock however which would help the fitment if interference were to be.
Once this 78E went away from original, it just kept going

This is a Special I built into a Standard because I wanted your 76 XS bike.The lower Texavina seat is firm but 2-3 hours ride comfortable. As much tuning you might do will still result in a ~42-43hp bike with stock cam and compression Tune it to run good through the gears and you will have a smile on your face. The Minton mods on the forks give a secure feeling front end at the comfortable pace I ride at. Others in the forum will justly call my pace "snail speed". Welcome, you have what I consider the best looking XS650 available in the States. Oh shit, another pic of Kevin's bike.
20231014_180811.jpg

IMO the best thing you can do with your lovely survivor is ride it. Obviously you need to swap out those mufflers on taste grounds and you might want to swap the seat to feel more secure but stuff like Minton mods or tuning up the engine can be left on the long term aspirations list.

Please don't take this wrong, but the reason I say this is I've seen a lot of people who get into XS650s, come to this site, read about the mods other people have done and their first post is something like 'I've got this old XS650 and I'm gonna go no battery, Pamco ignition, XS500 carbs . . . '

IMO the best thing you can do with your lovely survivor is ride it. Obviously you need to swap out those mufflers on taste grounds and you might want to swap the seat to feel more secure but stuff like Minton mods or tuning up the engine can be left on the long term aspirations list.

Please don't take this wrong, but the reason I say this is I've seen a lot of people who get into XS650s, come to this site, read about the mods other people have done and their first post is something like 'I've got this old XS650 and I'm gonna go no battery, Pamco ignition, XS500 carbs . . . '

Yeah that’s about where I’m at. I’m going to change the bars to my liking and hang these from the rafters for now. Can always refit them. Yeah on taste alone the mufflers are out as soon as I find the right replacement (not Emgo). I might make some minor changes for fit and style but honestly as great as all that info sounds, deeper mods feel like down-season things for me. I’m in PA. We have winters and that what they’re for.

Bought Miss November's silencers/mufflers from Feked - https://www.feked.com/universal-reverse-cone-silencer-28-id-35-41mm.html

but there must be similar in US? Gratuitous piccie of her Ladyship to show the style:

View attachment 292979

Love those. My last bike had reverse cones. So the 1 3/8 size isn’t a problem? Also if you don’t mind my asking, where are the headers from? Honestly I love your bike. I don’t think anyone will complain about too many pics of her. I’m thinking of something very similar. Lower bars than stock, black and even a gold tank similar to yours. The pics don’t show it well but mine is actually scratched and dented.

Your original head pipes appear to be in good condition. Original head pipes are double walled and therefore have a smaller pipe diameter than after market head pipes. Originals also are shorter than after market head pipes so after market mufflers attached directly will not have much rearward placement but will mount rather level, forward, and low.
You may want to consider a whole after market system including head pipes, torque inserts, and mufflers.
On these XS’s the idea of changing just one thing seems to lead to additional changes to accomodate
😁👍

“Bike Master” brand Euro bend handlebars are a popular choice.
I would search Bike Master and not go for the Emgo Euro bend bars however.
And that change leads to the master cylinder , brake line too lol

Your original head pipes appear to be in good condition. Original head pipes are double walled and therefore have a smaller pipe diameter than after market head pipes. Originals also are shorter than after market head pipes so after market mufflers attached directly will not have much rearward placement but will mount rather level, forward, and low.
You may want to consider a whole after market system including head pipes, torque inserts, and mufflers.
On these XS’s the idea of changing just one thing seems to lead to additional changes to accomodate
😁👍

That seems like the move. Address the exhaust all at once and jet accordingly. I love the angles and flow of yours.

Thank you, that mid section was trickier than expected to get correct.
I just liked the Royal Enfield 650 exhaust look so I went for that and got it pretty good

I have yet to find head pipes that dyno better than the stock ones. Even on my modded 700cc. (Have not tried single walled 1.5” pipes) On the stock motor just keep your stock headers. Here is how my bike looks with stock head pipes and 26” commandos.

Attachments

• IMG_4891.jpeg
    IMG_4891.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 16
Back