No spark on an 81 special 2

srinath

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bike isn't making spark, I've checked and cleaned all the connections. However I dont know if the relays on the right side are any good, and the left side relays - I got rid of the side stand relay, and not sure about the other one.

I'd ideally like to bypass that relay with a jumper, and if needed bypass the relays on the right side as well. What wires do I jumper together to get it to spark.

Oddly for ~2 mins on monday I got it started and running. I then shut it off to put more gas in it and check the oil, and it never started after that.

Weird huh.

Thanks for all your help.
Srinath.

The bike isn't making spark, I've checked and cleaned all the connections. However I dont know if the relays on the right side are any good, and the left side relays - I got rid of the side stand relay, and not sure about the other one.

I'd ideally like to bypass that relay with a jumper, and if needed bypass the relays on the right side as well. What wires do I jumper together to get it to spark.

Oddly for ~2 mins on monday I got it started and running. I then shut it off to put more gas in it and check the oil, and it never started after that.

Weird huh.

Thanks for all your help.
Srinath.

by any chance you used the kill switch? check for proper function these are a known problem (dirty contacts) clean or replace

I will open and check it, I never use that kill switch. I always turn it off with the key.
But I will open it and hard wire it if needed.
Thanks, and keep em ideas comming.
Srinath.

How are you checking for spark, or lack of? Is the bike just not firing up? Kicking or electric?

What is your starting procedure? Stand up, clutch in, in neutral?

I dont have side stand switch connected and the relay has been removed. The bike is in neutral, and I am kicking it with the plugs removed and the threads grounded to the engine.

I guess I better check if the neutral switch is sending the signal back that it is in neutral huh. K I will.

Thanks keep em comming guys.
Srinath.

Neutral sensor is fine, And I made sure by grounding the prong.
Start/kill is fine.

I have the safety relay back in and have really weak and erratic spark. So bad that it never fires in the right spot. Kicks back like a clydesdale, or into the carbs hard enough to pop them off.
I suspect the ignitor, I'll pull it and desolder and test the transistors and try replacing them.
Thanks.
Srinath.

Back