No spark, TCI shot? Something else??

It's not possible to ground it, really. The two mounting screw holes don't connect to anything in the coil.

To test the pickup, read 700 ohms from the black to each of the other two. Lookingfor continuity might work too, don't know, if you don't have a meter. Look at the diagram at the top of this thread to tell you if you should be seeing 12, ground, or don't know for every wire out of the tci. If you don't see it, check continuity. And check continuity from the tci to the pickup. That should get you going. Probably nothing's broken.

Last edited:
I tested my pickup and it's ok. Should I test my pickup for continuity? I thought that when I tested the pickups using the ohm meter that it confirmed continuity Can you tell me what setting I should use on my multimeter? I'm a complete beginner with this thing. Thanks
5569665863_6b1625287f_z.jpg

not sure bout the coil but i would bolt it up and see . what key switches yall using , i had a universal and had it wire wrong . bike turned over but would not fire, and yes the plugs could be bad . they cheap too so get knew ones just to be sure

If you check the ohms you don't need to test continuity to test the pickup. But check continuity from the tci to the pickup if you need to. Some ppl in the thread seem to have a continuity tester but not a meter. I don't know what 700 ohms looks like to a continuity tester but if it says it has continuity it's probably good and if it says it doesn't it's not necessarily bad because 700 ohms is too high to read as continuity maybe. In other words some amount of ohms is going to stop reading as continuity but I don't know how high that has to be.

Anything else I can check? Is there a way for me to check and see if the pickup is connected to the igntion unit correctly? Or is there a way for me to check the ignition unit with an ohm meter? I was able to get spark if I put power directly to red/white of the ignition coil and then ground and unground the orange. Right now I'm connected like this. black to ground, black on pickup to white with black stripe on on TCI, Grey on pickup to white with green stripe on TCI, orange on pickup to white with red stripe on TCI, Orange on ignition coil to orange TCI, and finally Red/white on ignition coil to red/white on TCI with red from battery.

^Check the connections to the tci with the diagram at the top of the thread. It uses stock colors. There's no simple way to check the tci directly that I know of. I keep a spare tci and I've used it a couple of times to see if the tci was the source of a problem.

My connections are exactly like the wiring diagram. The only thing that I'm not 100% completely sure about is the sidestand relay wire. I believe the white with black stripe goes to the pickup coil and the black with white stripe used to go to the sidestand relay right?

That's a good question. The first color is the main color and the other is the stripe, so it would be white with black stripe to black on the pickup. The sidestand wire I've heard people say you can just leave open. Mine doesn't have it.

I believe I was told that If I look at the harness connector that the the wires for the pickup are close together in the harness and the other b/w wire is on the other side of the harness. Well that was kinda true with my harness. When I took the cover off my TCI it was the complete opposite. The white/green, white/red and black/white were together inside the TCI.

I may just have to get my OG wiring harness and trace all the wires and see where they end up. If that doesnt work I'm going to blow the bike up in the backyard:doh:

The TCI harness connector is an 8 wire connector with 7 wires in it, the side stand black/white wire (they both are designated as being black/white) is on one end and the terminal across from it is the blank terminal with no wire. The Black white wire that goes to the pick up should be across from the red white wire. The Yamaha wiring diagram is rather confusing because the way it shows the wires coming out of the connector block does not match their positions on the block itself.

Last edited:
the side stand black/white wire (they both are designated as being black/white)

If that's true, then everybody note that the wiring diagram at the top of the thread is wrong.

This pic shows one wire as being clearly w/b. Could be a big problem....

Somebody with a meter trace it out to the connector.

5604291270_80e80801b4_b.jpg

Gary this is the connector I cut off my pickup coil. When you find your harness can you tell me how it should be hooked up. I have mine black to white/black, grey to white/green and orange to white/red. Thanks a ton. I believe I have it right but who knows.:banghead:
5604934104_6f9d91ba71_b.jpg

Since Gary knows their positions in the connector you could go by that if you still have a connector.

OK I went and checked on my 83 HS
Couple of points;
The DIAGRAM calls both wires black/white, the ACTUAL harness has a white/black wire on one end of the connector by itself, no wire opposite, that wire goes to the side stand relay and should be open (not hooked to anything) for a simple wiring setup. The black/white wire should go to the pick up.

Last edited:
Is there anyone in CT that would willing to take a look at this thing? Im so freaking lost.

Back