No spark

15385351877621950057714.jpg
my coil set up

My spark testing set up .lol

Attachments

• 15385354078081477156697.jpg
    15385354078081477156697.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 116
My physic powers are weak this morning, what ignition?
As always testing is key, random parts replacement is the long hard $$$ way to find a problem.
Hi Gary new to this forum stuff, you seem to be a guru I have a 71 that I just got back on the road And was running great But when I started it the other day it fired right up I don’t on choke perfect I turn the choke off and it stalled I never had spark since I have power to the coil‘s power of the points points are new and reset all lights work coils omh out right not nothing at the plugs,I’m baffled any input would be a big help thanks

first check.
Turn engine over to where both points are open. Turn on key and short one of the points with a screwdriver . Do the same with the other set of points.
if no spark on ether set then there is a problem with ether the ground or power.

If one sparks then check plug connections at coil and plug caps on non sparking ssie.

first check.
Turn engine over to where both points are open. Turn on key and short one of the points with a screwdriver . Do the same with the other set of points.
if no spark on ether set then there is a problem with ether the ground or power.

If one sparks then check plug connections at coil and plug caps on non sparking ssie.
Have spark at point going to see volts there tomorrow
:agree:
12 volts at the points when open? If not start working backwards til you find 12 volts.

Changed condenser today two coils one condenser both condenser lead go to a three way connector,seem odd
there are 2 condensers packaged together, one condenser wire goes to left side coil 3 way, other to RH 3 way junction. If that is when your problems started you now know how to fix it.
points iggy.png

Wires may not be these colors.
New points may have grease on them they need to be cleaned with contact cleaner. slide white copier paper through til it comes out clean.

Last edited:
Well the connectors only go one way,And from my knowledge of cars automobiles and the way I was learned goes along with that schematic.my bike isn’t wired like that,But I know the bike ran and ran great this is where I get lost

f no spark on ether set then there is a problem with ether the ground or power.

If one sparks then check plug connections at coil and plug caps on non sparking side.

I should have been clear that the the plugs should fire when you short the points.

there are 2 condensers packaged together, one condenser wire goes to left side coil 3 way, other to RH 3 way junction. If that is when your problems started you now know how to fix it.
View attachment 184568
New points may have grease on them they need to be cleaned with contact cleaner. slide white copier paper through til it comes out clean.
Both condenser leads connect to one gray and go in a harness and lead back to the battery

I should have been clear that the the plugs should fire when you short the points.
The plugs should arc when you open the points (remove the screwdriver that's shorting them closed)
Collapse of the primary field creates current in the secondary.

PS very early in a situation like this I remove the plugs and heat em red hot with a propane torch then wire brush them clean. A fuel/oil film on central electrode can bleed off current before it builds enough to jump a spark.
Nearly beyond count how many times that's got me back to making brmm brmm noises.

The wires to the coils do go into the loom, then come right back out.
There are two completely SEPARATE ignition systems, one for each side. This is different from a car with one primary circuit and a distributor on the secondary to send the spark around to all the spark plugs.
Note; the condenser case also needs to be bolted to a grounded section of frame (the upper engine mount). The factory wiring has a separate ground wire just to ground those condensers.
points diagram.jpg

View attachment 184568
Could the coils omh right but still be bad

If primary AND secondary ohm to specs they are usually good. Coils must also be bolted to a ground that completes the secondary circuit through the spark plug engine etc.
As above you have two completely separate ignition systems it's unlikely both failed at the same time.
Leaving the ignition on, motor not turning, can fry the primary winding in an ignition coil.
check the secondary (sparkplug) wires, and the plug caps they should ohm out at about 5K ohms.

PS very early in a situation like this I remove the plugs and heat em red hot with a propane torch then wire brush them clean. A fuel/oil film on central electrode can bleed off current before it builds enough to jump a spark.
Nearly beyond count how many times that's got me back to making brmm brmm noises.
If primary AND secondary ohm to specs they are usually good. Coils must also be bolted to a ground that completes the secondary circuit through the spark plug engine etc.
As above you have two completely separate ignition systems it's unlikely both failed at the same time.
Leaving the ignition on, motor not turning, can fry the primary winding in an ignition coil.
check the secondary (sparkplug) wires, and the plug caps they should ohm out at about 5K ohms.
First I want to thank you for your help,now just had another bike guy here for 3 hours and everything checks out.the points do spark a bit but 12.5 v everywhere but no spark. he saw my Ridgid frame and said time to build it lol don’t have enough parts yet

Back