Noob questions for You to answer!

Socopunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few "What's This's" and "Where can I put it's"

1. Whats this? Under left case. Is it bad that I accidently pulled it half way out when cleaning and it doesn't feel like it's attached to anything?

downsized_0810002216.jpg

2. This thing has a bolt on the back. Can I bolt it anywhere, or does it need a special place? It connects to the positive terminal of the battery. If I bolt it to the side of my battery box and it touches my leg when I ride, will I explode?

0810002219.jpg

3. Can I shove this thing into my fake oil can? Out of sight out of mind.

0810002218.jpg

Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

Last edited:
well, the one in the first picture is push rod for the clutch. as for whether it's a bad thing that you pulled it out a ways or not, i can't say as i am also a neophyte. maybe put the cover back on, see if you can still shift and find neutral and then maybe adjust the clutch per the manual?

not sure about the electrical pics, but the first one like sand said is the clutch push rod. stock rods are three pieces with bearings in between them. its fine that you took it out, but when you put it back make sure the tapered end is facing out.

also, wondering where i can find a helmet like the one in your avatar. ive been looking for an old-school type full face helmet

no you won't explode if you touch it with your leg. that's the starter solenoid. move it around all you need. or better yet get rid of it and rock the kick starter. chicks dig a kick start bike.

Socopunk.
Pic 2: The starter solenoid should be bolted on,
Pic 3: is the rectifier and dissipates heat so so should be where it can be cooled, usually resides under the battery box.

You need to get a workshop manual

lol i misread
HTML:
If I bolt it to the side of my battery box and it touches my leg when I ride, will I explode?
Thinking you had been riding with it touching your leg :doh:

Correct answers already given, but to reinforce;

1 Part way out on the clutch push rod is no problem

2 The starter solenoid has a cover on the hot bolt, the other big bolt would only be hot when pressing the starter button.

3 The rectifier needs some cooling air. (and a GOOD ground) ugly things might happen with that ungrounded.

Back