Nylon screws for stator brushes with solid state regulator?

just_puttering

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, 78 650 se. I have a problem with charging. I noticed I have what seems to be a solid state regulator, correct? Should the screws holding the brushes be nylon, and why? If so, where would I get them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20121201_215439.jpg
    20121201_215439.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 20121201_215419.jpg
    20121201_215419.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
If you want the screws, take one out and drive to ace hardware. Theyll have a matching plastic/nylon screw. Might be a little too long, but nothing an exacto can't take care of.

Other than that, search the forum for how to test the rotor and make sure its putting out as it should.

Hi All, 78 650 se. I have a problem with charging. I noticed I have what seems to be a solid state regulator, correct? Should the screws holding the brushes be nylon, and why? If so, where would I get them?

Thanks!

If you have the correct rec/reg for 70 to 79 years, then you do not need nylon screws. In those years the right inner brush is grounded to the stator frame. The left outer brush is insulated from ground and receives a variable + voltage from the regulator.

The most common problems are brushes that are worn out.............less than 3/8" long must be replaced, and rotor that does not measure 5 to 6 ohms from slip ring to slip ring.

Brushes are fine. Does my regulator look like the stock one? I did notice that one screw is longer, must be the grounded one. Still working on testing the rotor/stator, will go Pamco if they are bad.

Brushes are fine. Does my regulator look like the stock one? I did notice that one screw is longer, must be the grounded one. Still working on testing the rotor/stator, will go Pamco if they are bad.

That regulator is not stock. Stock had separate rectifier and regulator. The rotor is part of the charging system, and a Pamco is part of the ignition system................one cannot replace the other.

This is what your stock reg and rec look like. The unit with the green tube on the edge is the reg. The other unit is the rec. The reg mounts to the side of the battery box, the rec to the bottom of the battery box.
Leo

Attachments

• 70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 116
Thanks so much guys, Looks like I have an aftermarket reg/rectifier in one. So do I need nylon screws? Any info on how I test this unit?

My mistake on the pamco reference, should have been PMA....Had kids band concert tonight, wifes birthday yesterday, Need to do brakes on truck. Hopefully back to this next couple days.

A reg/rec can be set up to work the same as the stock 70-79 reg and rec. they can be set up as the later, 80 up, reg/rec.
The only way to tell is to contact the manufacturer of your reg/rec and ask how the unit you have is set up.
In your pic it has the stock screws, so I would assume it's the way it should be.
As far as testing a reg/rec the only part you can test is the rec portion of the reg/rec. The how to isin your repair manual. On your reg/rec you have three wires one color, probably yellow. Use these wires and the red wire and if like mpst generic after market reg/rec's a green wire. Most use the green as ground. when testing by the book think of the three yellows as three whites, the green as black.
The reg part of the reg/rec can't be tested by other than replacing. If you follow the steps in Curly's Charging guide you can determine if the reg/rec is your problem or it's something else.
Leo

Thanks so much guys, Looks like I have an aftermarket reg/rectifier in one. So do I need nylon screws? Any info on how I test this unit?

My mistake on the pamco reference, should have been PMA....Had kids band concert tonight, wifes birthday yesterday, Need to do brakes on truck. Hopefully back to this next couple days.

I already explained in post #3 that you don't need nylon screws, when using the correct (70 to 79 years) rec/reg unit.

Back