Oh, oh, look what ended up in my driveway…..

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not the best pics. Will post more next week when I have a chance. 2023 Moto Guzzi Special (Ducati Scrambler is gone already lol).

IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1690.jpeg
IMG_1695.jpeg
IMG_3501.jpeg
IMG_3502.jpeg

Will be interesting to hear your take on life with a Guzzi. Had a V7 Nevada for a short time. Seemed like a great ride, unfortunately it's for a shorter rider.
View attachment 246289

There's a pretty good guzzi parts vender in So. WI

The bike has a low seat height but that suits me well since I have short legs. Easy to flat foot this one.

Oh you’re killing me! I actually put a cash deposit on a new, yet to be built 850 Special, back in the spring of last year. At that time , supply chain issues and the fact that Moto Guzzi was in the process of opening a new factory in Italy, there was no new inventory here. I was informed that it could take 6 months or more to take delivery. At that point I got my deposit back and bought my Suzuki. But….My love affair for Moto Guzzi’s has not diminished! ❤️
Please do keep us updated on your ownership experience.
( the one that got away)
IMG_5903.jpeg

Oh you’re killing me! I actually put a cash deposit on a new, yet to be built 850 Special, back in the spring of last year. At that time , supply chain issues and the fact that Moto Guzzi was in the process of opening a new factory in Italy, there was no new inventory here. I was informed that it could take 6 months or more to take delivery. At that point I got my deposit back and bought my Suzuki. But….My love affair for Moto Guzzi’s has not diminished! ❤️
( the one that got away)
View attachment 246291
Oh, what a shame to lose out in that way - quoting you a long an uncertain lead time puts you in an impossible situation, you hang in there and face more delays and potentially long-term disappointment if promised deliveries never arrive. Or do what you did which was surely the right thing.

( the one that got away)
View attachment 246291

That’s too bad. I actually like the blue one the most but the only choices now are white and the one I have which is called silver.
Are you on some of the Moto Guzzi forums?. The other night I saw a post from Mailman and thought it can’t be a coincidence.
So far the bike is great. I’m away for the weekend so no riding until Tuesday. Transmission is interesting. Up and down shifts are accompanied by a very noticeable and loud clack. Apparently normal.
Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Are you on some of the Moto Guzzi forums?. The other night I saw a post from Mailman and thought it can’t be a coincidence.

I did join a couple forums in anticipation of getting my bike, but I haven’t been back in over a year. 🙁
Up and down shifts are accompanied by a very noticeable and loud clack.

My old Airhead BMW R100/7 was the same way, really just when you dropped it into first. I asked an experienced mechanic about it back then and he told me that the first gear was this very robust straight cut gear, built to withstand the thudding of those big pistons. The subsequent gears were helical cut and therefore much smoother and quieter during engagement.
I had a chance to demo ride a Victory Gunner and it had the loudest transmission I’ve ever experienced, every throw was long , followed by a very loud clunk. But I’m guessing it was built to be solid.

Love your 850 Special. Very classy with an understated mix of chrome, spokes and graphics. There are a ton of accessories available for your E5. Enjoy.
I apologize for hijacking your thread but I’m excited to show my ‘18 V7III Stone that I purchased new at auction two years ago from leftover old stock. I actually traded my ‘02 R1150RT for the Guzzi. I’ve already added crash bars and a center stand. My plans are to add a windshield, upgrade the suspension and Agostini exhaust with remapped fueling. I too find the seat height a bit low. The seat pad in the photo is a cheapo back protector to test raise the seat height before inserting a gel pad. BTW, I’m lusting for the V100 Mondello. Also, note the bag of fresh hot artichoke bread, a speciality in Pescadero, CA.
Again, enjoy your new ride.

Attachments

• 9F3DA7B7-473B-4A16-BF5B-19A92B46C034.png
    9F3DA7B7-473B-4A16-BF5B-19A92B46C034.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
Love your 850 Special. Very classy with an understated mix of chrome, spokes and graphics. There are a ton of accessories available for your E5. Enjoy.
I apologize for hijacking your thread but I’m excited to show my ‘18 V7III Stone that I purchased new at auction two years ago from leftover old stock. I actually traded my ‘02 R1150RT for the Guzzi. I’ve already added crash bars and a center stand. My plans are to add a windshield, upgrade the suspension and Agostini exhaust with remapped fueling. I too find the seat height a bit low. The seat pad in the photo is a cheapo back protector to test raise the seat height before inserting a gel pad. BTW, I’m lusting for the V100 Mondello. Also, note the bag of fresh hot artichoke bread, a speciality in Pescadero, CA.
Again, enjoy your new ride.
Nice. I ordered a center stand. Was that a difficult install? Will also get a Dart Flyscreen and rear rack soon.

Have only put less than 100 km on my bike. Was wondering if you experienced shifting difficulty from neutral to first gear. Apparently it’s a common trait of this bike and it’s clutch / gearbox combo. I noticed 50% of the time it drops into first with a definitive “clack” noise. The other times it goes into first but with no noise at all leading me to believe the gears are not fully engaged. Just early observations. I’m thinking once broken in, this condition will improve.

Last edited:
Bosco - I installed the H&B and it was a bear breaking loose the cross frame bolt. Using an impact gun didn’t work and I feared snapping the bolt. I didn’t want to use heat because that would damage the frame paint. I ultimately sprayed PB Blaster on the right threads (some other lube may work better) then left it for a few weeks, removed the left muffler (easy) and used a breaker with a cheater bar. I should mention that the bike was upright in a front wheel chock. Others had said that they had difficulty installing the springs so I decided to install them on the bench before offering the stand to the frame. Some dexterity was necessary but it installed rather smoothly. I also ordered a lift grab handle because my Stone doesn’t have that beautiful chrome rear grab bar. Oh ya, I eliminated the evap canister altogether so no fiddling with that pos.
I decided to go with the H&B because I read where the OE stand interfered with the US side stand on the E4 and required the Euro side stand.
I never really noticed any shifting clunk. I’ll pay attention next ride. The RT had clunk into 1st and the trick was to ease the clutch out while simultaneously shifting, then pull back in until ready to roll.
I needed to downsize from the RT and I’m extremely happy with the lighter Guzzi. Nevertheless, my XS1 started this madness from an early age.

Thanks @Thumper. I read some interesting stuff on dry clutches and gear engagement on the Moto Guzzi forum which explained the inconsistency in engagement of first gear from neutral. The one source suggested doing exactly as you suggest to get positive engagement of the gears. Guess it’s one of those quirks I need to learn and live with.
I was going to order the Hepco and Becker stand but the OEM stand was actually a few dollars less so I ordered that. I will double check that side stand replacement will not be required. Thx for the heads up on this. I figured the factory stand would be a hassle free fit (wishful thinking).
I found on my Ducati, the factory torqued everything well and also added lots of thread locker on their fasteners. This may explain the difficult you experienced removing that bolt / cross member.
Was the evap canister attached to the cross member? I was going to forgoe the center stand and buy a Pitbull stand but apparently there isn’t one that fits on the 2023. I also read in earlier generations of bikes, the evap canister needed to be removed so the stand would fit. I am planning to leave the canister in place until the first service is completed at 1500 KM.
Thanks for the valuable intel!

Both the OE and HB replacement crossover braces allow for retaining the evap. I too think that it’s best to wait until after first service or past warranty before modification. There are several ways to achieve the same result. Search guzzitech.com. I’ve also been pleased with AF1 racing in TX.

Mine had the dreaded jammed breather valve, creating fuel tank vacuum-lock. I’m past warranty so no sin that it “fell off”. Amazingly, bike runs way better and smoother with no jerky throttle. Next is SAS block-off.

Learned something interesting about the bike’s gear shift indicator. As it should, the Speedo shows which gear the bike is in. Interesting though - when you pull in the clutch lever the gear number disappears. Also noticed when you shift gears, the gear you have shifted into, does not appear in the Speedo display immediately. Theres about a second or more delay. Thought this was odd and read up on this. Not sure if other bikes do it this way, but apparently, the bike “calculates” and displays which gear the transmission is engaged in, as a function of wheel speed and engine rpm. Hence the delay and disappearing gear number. Kinda cool?

Last edited:
About 400 km on the bike now. Here’s my riding impressions:
- comfortable ride… my old butt can sit on it for a couple of hours no problem
- good fuel economy and range. With its large 21L tank I can go well over 400km
- goid power and lotsa torque at lower engine speeds
- love the transverse v twin shake
- brakes are less than adequate - will research further. 2X I couldn’t make a complete stop at a red light and went further into the intersection than was safe. Rear brake is the worst. Even with heavy pressure, it barely slows the bike. Suspecting it needs to be bled or the pads are contaminated. Stay tuned on this one.
- engine vibration through the bars when engine is under moderate to heavy load from 3K to 3.5K rpm. May get better once broken in? Smooth as butter after 3,500. Still in break-in mode so I don’t rev it much above 4,500 but I have a couple of times 😈 and the big twin sings.
- odd engine noise. Can’t put my finger on the source but sound changes at 3,000 rpm regardless of load. It’s either exhaust or valve train noise. I’ll let the dealer have a listen at the first service (1,500 km). In the meantime, good earplugs makes the noise disappear. Lol
- transmission is notchy. Each shift is accompanied by a loud, definitive click (Like an old tractor). Nature of the beast I think. I’ll see if it improves over time.

Overall Im happy with the bike. New bike technology, but has a retro look and feel. As mentioned above, the first service is at 1,500 km. Still deciding whether to take it to the dealer or not. Anticipate a $500 bill and this is only for an engine oil change and valve adjustment. Note: valve adjustment on these motors us sooo simple. I’m guessing 1/2 hour max.

Well that’s all folks. I’ll update this post as I get in more seat time.

Btw, on a side note, if you really want to fully appreciate this group (xs650.com), join a new group and ask a few questions. I asked how to change the temp units (F to C) on my bike and received a tongue lashing that I was being lazy and I should go back and read the manual. I wanted to fire back a clever response but thought it best to lay low for a while. Lol

IMG_1711.jpeg
IMG_1713.jpeg

Back