Oh, oh, look what ended up in my driveway…..

Well, $479 later I came home with a center stand for the Guzzi. Really nice piece but heavy. I can live with that as this bike wasn’t purchased with the expectation of being a rocket. Took about 1-1/2 hours to install. Pretty simple but exhaust had to come off …. Pics attached of the stand and the bike with it installed.
On Guzzi forum, it was suggested that the frame to engine mount bolts be loosened slightly to facilitate assembly. When doing this I figured out the the forward frame to engine bolt actually passes right though the center of the crankcase (See bolt #13) Anyone ever see something like that? I assume the bolt doesn’t pass through any oil and there must be a molded or cast rib inside the crankcase to support this bolt. The torque spec for this bolt is supposed to be 50NM but I was a bit afraid to apply that much torque without having reassurance the crankcase is adequately reinforced in that area. It would be catastrophic if I torqued it down and cracked the sides of the cases. Any intel out there on this?

IMG_1917.jpeg
IMG_1918.jpeg
IMG_1919.jpeg
IMG_1921.jpeg
IMG_3580.png

50 newton meters (NM) is about 37ft-lbs. For a through bolt that I'm guessing' is about 8-10mm in dia, that sounds about right to me.

I was concerned about the compressive load to the sides of the crankcase if the inside of the crankcase wasn’t reinforced. Since this is one of 4 or 5 engine to frame attachment points, the engine construction must be quite robust in that area.
I need to take it in for its 1500 km first service in a couple of weeks. Maybe I’ll get them to snug it up to spec if I’m still 🐔 tomorrow. Lol.
I need to bend over for that service too - was warned it will be about the price of the center stand 😖

I need to take it in for its 1500 km first service in a couple of weeks.
I need to bend over for that service too - was warned it will be about the price of the center stand 😖

I used to own a new Triumph Bonneville America. I had decided that I would let the dealer do all the service work while it was under warranty. This was back in 2007, when I took it in for its first major service with valve check , I just about swallowed my teeth when I was hit with a $500+ bill! 😬
Thats why on my new Suzuki, I just bought a manual and am doing my own work ( even though the valves are a pain in the ass! )

37ftlb on 10mm is like an XS650 head stud. It would be interesting to start the engine and then pull the bolt out to see if oil gushes everywhere...:cautious:

Your photo shows the seat off nicely. Great shape how it curves up then curves down slightly at the back.

I used to own a new Triumph Bonneville America. I had decided that I would let the dealer do all the service work while it was under warranty. This was back in 2007, when I took it in for its first major service with valve check , I just about swallowed my teeth when I was hit with a $500+ bill! 😬
Thats why on my new Suzuki, I just bought a manual and am doing my own work ( even though the valves are a pain in the ass! )
Tough part about swallowing the bill for my service is they will do and engine oil change with filter and adjust the valves. Valve adjustment on this bike, even for a rookie should only take an hour. So where does the $500 charge come from? Guess they have to pay for their nice showroom etc…

37ftlb on 10mm is like an XS650 head stud. It would be interesting to start the engine and then pull the bolt out to see if oil gushes everywhere...:cautious:

Your photo shows the seat off nicely. Great shape how it curves up then curves down slightly at the back.
I too was actually thinking about pulling the bolt. Yes the bike has a nice, comfortable seat.

As one would expect, the webbing down there looks very robust and oil tight. Would likely handle twice the recommended torque from a ham fisted wrencher.

View attachment 248130
Thanks Jim! I searched for such a diagram but couldn’t find it. Where did you find this on? Once the rain stops I’m going out to crank the bolt down. Next question - when applying torque to a nut and bolt assembly, do you torque the nut or bolt or does it make a difference?

It makes a difference. The bolt could be an interference fit for example. You'd then need to determine the running torque on the bolt itself and add that to the recommended torque. Easier just to torque the nut. ;)

Standard practice is to always torque the nut wherever possible.

Cutaway: https://www.cycleworld.com/moto-guzzi-v9-motorcycle-engine-history-and-evolution/
Excellent - thanks!

Pulled up the link and the article references a V9 engine, but the story sounds more like the updated V7. I’m sure construction is similar but my generation of V7 boasts around 65 hp as the engine displacement went from 744 to 853cc. When this new generation of V7 850 engine was introduced, Moto Guzzi “beefed up” much of the drive train components to handle the extra power.

Edit - a friend has an earlier generation V7 and the through bolt torque spec is also 50NM.👍

Last edited:
Added a flyscreen today. Ordered engine guards but won’t be here for another couple of weeks.

Bought the screen directly from Dart in the UK. Ordered last Friday and arrived yesterday via Royal Mail / Canada Post. Can’t beat that for quick delivery and great customer service. $180 all in, with no additional shipping charges. Local dealer wants $259 for the same part. I ❤️ getting a great deal! Dart is tops!

IMG_2138.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought the screen directly from Dart in the UK.

Yeah, they really are the best flyscreens, and that one looks great on your bike! If you’ve never ridden with one before, you’ll be surprised how much pressure on your torso that little screen can relieve. Are you considering a set of bar end mirrors too?
IMG_5447.jpeg

Yeah, they really are the best flyscreens, and that one looks great on your bike! If you’ve never ridden with one before, you’ll be surprised how much pressure on your torso that little screen can relieve. Are you considering a set of bar end mirrors too?
View attachment 249844
I like bar end mirrors and have had them on most of my bikes. This bike has nice shiny bar end weights and I need to see how mirrors might be fitted to these bars.

Found these…

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-cnc-2-pc-bar-end-mirror-sliders?variant=31787400003627

Back