Oil feed pipe leaking?

Bucko

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks,its getting late over here in the uk and i cant find my manual anywere,so here goes :laugh: whats the correct procedure for tightening the bolts at the bottom of the oil feed pipe? Is there any copper washers needed in the fitting? Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

Ok snug the fitting into the engine, Not sure on the torque, Now start the pipe on the fitting. Now as you hold the fitting in place with one wrench, tighten the nut on the line.
No washers in the fitting, If you look at the end of the line, it's kinda shaped like a ball. The nut presses this ball down on the fitting. If the ball and fitting are in good shape it seals.
Leo

To add do NOT apply too much torque to the first fitting and like LEO says you have to hold it with a wrench while you tighten the second nut against it. IIRC 15/16" you may need to cut bend or otherwise "customise" a wrench, if the engine is in the frame it's maddenly tight to get at the nuts.
it won't hurt to smear a little bit of antiseize on the second thread.
Fuggle this and you will strip the threads out of the engine case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a copper sealing washer under the fitting that screws into the case .....

OilPipe.jpg

You'll need two 22mm open end wrenches.

It's captive on the oil feed pipe. I think I might have one from an oil feed pipe that was cut for an oil cooler install. AFAIK a cut pipe is the only way to find one loose.

I've got one that was in less than stellar shape on the threads, so I put it together as snug as possible with a touch of JB Weld, with the thought of fixing it proper when more convenient. It has never leaked, so I'm not touching it.

Hey Gary,

Ah, yea that makes sense, I have a oil cooler on my bike that my uncle installed yearsss ago. I'm looking for just that nut. I cracked mine the other day. I was hoping someone might know if its sold separately somewhere?

So far the plumbing section in a hardware store is the closet I've come to finding something similar.

Back