Oiling Mike's stock style air filters?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have a '75 B and the manual mentions it having oiled type foam air filters. Mine were shot, but I have a replacement pair from MikesXS. Slightly different type of foam, but would it hurt to put a light spraying of oil on them? I have UNI and K&N recharge kits/oil.

For those, IMO, I'd lightly spray or hand rub the "blue" oil on them. Then take wheel bearing grease lightly spread on the grey foam seals.

That'll insure the air will be drawn through the filter assembly.

Posted via Mobile

There was a big discussion on this just the other day. and the conclusion is no, don't oil them.
Leo

Scott under the general inspection and periodic maintenance my "E" and SJ/SK manuals say
Air filter -- dry type clean or replace.
I don't have a Yamaha manual for the "B" model but Leo does iirc.
Re: the consensus of the other thread the op replied later in the thread that Barb told him to leave them dry.

Ok looking in my factory book, it does say the 75 used an oiled foam filter. Keep the element damp with oil. remove clean and oil every 500-1000 miles. if hard use as in dirt riding oil clean every day.
That's on a stock filter, Mike's doesn't sell a 75 filter. They sell the 76 - 79 as well as the 80 up filter.
Yes that's the thread I was thinking of. They were talking about using a 77 set of filters in a 75.
My book also says they used a dry foam starting in 76. They used the same filter till 79. In 80 they changed.
So if your filters are the stock 75 then oil may be ok. If 76 up filters, no oil.
Leo

I looked a bit farther on Mike's and they do sell a 75 filter.
If you do choose to oil the filters I would do it very lightly.
Leo

It looks like I have the '76-79 type. IIRC, Mikes didn't have the 75 style back when I ordered these.
The air boxes are essentially the same except for breather tubes. Guess I'll leave these dry then?

It looks like I have the '76-79 type. IIRC, Mikes didn't have the 75 style back when I ordered these.
The air boxes are essentially the same except for breather tubes. Guess I'll leave these dry then?

I have been using the 76 to 79 type (foam filters) for about 8 years now. Each winter I remove them and soak them in a pan of water with dish detergent. I then rinse them with water only, and allow them to air dry. They come out nice and clean. Very good filters, and easy to maintain.

I wonder if they switched filter types when they routed the engine breather to the air boxes? Used the blow by from the engine to oil the filters? Even though there shouldn't be THAT much oil coming from the breather....

I wonder if they switched filter types when they routed the engine breather to the air boxes? Used the blow by from the engine to oil the filters? Even though there shouldn't be THAT much oil coming from the breather....

I see no relationship in what you mentioned. In the last half of the 1970's, there was an acceptance that car/trucks and bikes had to do a better job to not pollute the environment. Manufacturers routed the crankcase fumes back into the cylinders (via the airbox on the XS650) in order to burn the oil vapours.

On cars and trucks, it was called PCV, positive crankcase ventilation. Fresh air was drawn into the crankcase and vapours were drawn into the cylinders.

When I open up my airboxes, I never see any sign of oil around the 2 tubes coming from the crankcase at the top of my engine, so it works quite well.

;jHDF;HSF;hsfhEFN[E.jpg

'KJ'KM'MK.jpg

CCCCC VD.jpg

All of these filters and ones made with similar materials should be oiled and have grease on the sealing surface.

The yellow foam type has a horribly cheap glue the reduces it's life if you clean it with gas etc and don't wash it properly.

View attachment 52322

View attachment 52323

View attachment 52324

All of these filters and ones made with similar materials should be oiled and have grease on the sealing surface.

The yellow foam type has a horribly cheap glue the reduces it's life if you clean it with gas etc and don't wash it properly.

I can't agree with oiling these filters. These foam filters are dry filters. They can be maintained just by washing in soapy water.

Yes gasoline would be a bad idea.............they would likely fall apart.

Back