Ok, got a new one for you guys...

strungxout

Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I guess my bike learned a couple magic tricks over the weekend. Cleaning the points fixed my weak spark issue, now on to more problems. So when the bike is running it idles fine, throttle response seems ok. But when you turn the wheel to the right, and only the right, the engine revs up. If you watch the throttle level on the carb, you can see slack in the throttle cable through out the rev... the farther right you turn the wheel the higher the rev. And I'm not talking it just upping the idle a little bit, if you cut the wheel right and leave it there the damn thing will redline all day. It has nothing to do with the throttle, if you disconnect the cable you'll get the same results. The only other thing I could think of is maybe somehow its advancing the timing? But I don't see how that's possible just by turning the wheel? No wires or cables are pinched, fuel is flowing the same, its just like its posessed or something. Has anybody ever heard of this, or have any idea what it could be? Because the only thing I can do for it now is to have an exorcism...

I'd still put my money on the cable. Try disconnecting it and see what happens. I had a similar issue with one of my bikes a while ago - looked as if it had plenty of slack but when I re-routed the cable it cured it. Can you see the throttle shaft move when you turn the bars fully to the right? Otherwise try the exorcism:)

Thanks for the fast response ady... Its not putting any tension anywhere on the throttle cable, and I hardtailed it so I rerouted all of my wiring... I don't see it touching the carbs at all? I'm so confused, I've never seen anything like this.

I'm sayin go with the exorcism. Don't take chances with Satan, man. He will screw with yer throttle all day long and spin yer butt around at night. Make it stop! Make it stop!

just because the outer cable isn't moving doesn't mean the inner cable isn't pulling, loosen the adjustment at the top of the cable a few turns

+1 on the throttle cable. Changed bars on my KZ1000 and had the same problem. Got a longer cable and it was fine. Little dangerous accelerating in right hand turns.

It has nothing to do with the throttle, if you disconnect the cable you'll get the same results.

Why does everyone keep saying throttle cable? Does no one believe the above statement from the original post? Strungxout, did you actually disconnect it to test that out?

I think what they are are asking is, where did you disconnect the cable from?
from the carb or the grip.
if only disconnected from the grip then you could still get tension on the cable from elsewhere.

Back