Our planets future is in their hands!!!

geedubya

geedubya
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Recently, I went to McDonald's and I saw on the menu that you could

have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets.

I asked for a half dozen nuggets.

'We don't have half dozen nuggets,' said the teenager at the counter.

'You don't?' I replied.

'We only have six, nine, or twelve,' was the reply.

'So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?'

'That's right.'

So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets

(Unbelievable but sadly true...)

(Must have been the same one I asked for sweetener and she said they

didn't have any, only Splenda and sugar.)

(And they think they are worth $8.00 per hour)

Another................
I was checking out at the local ASDA with just a few items and the

lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up

one of those dividers that they keep by the cash register and placed

it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed. After the girl had

scanned all of my items, she picked up the divider, looking it all

over for the bar code so she could scan it.

Not finding the bar code, she said to me, 'Do you know how much this is?'

I said to her 'I've changed my mind; I don't think I'll buy that today.'

She said 'OK,' and I paid her for the things and left.

She had no clue to what had just happened.

(But the lady behind me had a big smirk on her face as I left)

OK Geedub.... this is a cut and paste from a comment in my resto thread from about a year ago.....

I don't think they teach science in school anymore....
Just went to the store to get a fresh propane bottle to warm up the garage.
"I'd like to swap out a gas bottle please" I said to the millennial behind the counter.
"Propane?" she asks...
"Nah... think I'll try the hydrogen this time" I said.
She pulls her flip cards out and starts flipping through them. After bout' 30 sec. she starts looking around for a manager and says "I think all we have is propane. Let me ask the manager....."
"That's OK, I'll just take the propane."

Kids.... ;)

OK Geedub.... this is a cut and paste from a comment in my resto thread from about a year ago.....

"I'd like to swap out a gas bottle please" I said to the millennial behind the counter.
"Propane?" she asks...
She pulls her flip cards out and starts flipping through them. After bout' 30 sec. she starts looking around for a manager and says "I think all we have is propane. Let me ask the manager....."

Kids.... ;)

G'day Jim,

Yup I remember that and what I also remember is our Frozen Chosen Pete posted a very funny reply.

Yup we live in perilous times.

GW

"Propane?" she asks...

Kids.... ;)
You are one mean SOB Jim, you shouldn't pick on the little darl'ns.

Give em change so you get a $5 bill back and watch the confusion. It's not until they punch the amount into the cash register that they get it. Sometimes not even then, I've had one count out 5) $1 bills cause I baffled em so bad. :sneaky: Schools are removing dial clocks cause they can't decipher em. Just for fun I'll say quarter to, or half past X when asked the time they don't grok that.

Once I took the family to this old fashioned drive in burger joint, where young girls in roller skates bring you your order.
So the girl comes out with our food, and you pay her directly, she has one of those change makers on her belt.
I hand her a $20 bill and she says, ok ....how much change do I owe you?
My wife and I just looked at her....o_O

Another time I ordered breakfast at a fast food restaurant and I went to pay the young girl,
She said my computers down so your breakfast is free! I guess the manager couldn’t work a calculator and take money.

When I was in high school, one of the first jobs I ever had was working in this men’s clothing store as a clerk. All sales were written in a pad, no calculators, you had to look at a tax chart and add the appropriate tax. All math done in your head. I was 16 and got fired from that job for making a 30 cent error! Haha! :laugh2:

Haha, ya got lots of these stories.

Bought a 'half a dozen' books at Chapters one time. Cashier rang it through, and I said "I think you made a mistake".

"I MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT! MY COMPUTER DOESN'T MAKE MISTAKES!"

"Well, I bought 6 books."

"YA"

"Well, you only charged me for 4."

"OH, ALRIGHT!"

This one's fun. Had to wait to share it, it'll take a bit of time to tell.

Bought a couple items at Princess Auto one day that were in nearly identical packing but one cost considerably more than the other.
Didn't notice till I got home so went back the next day to straighten it out.

Cashier 1, "How may I help you"
"I bought 2 items yesterday and was charged the same price for both. This item costs a lot more so I'd like to correct that and get the proper receipt in case I ever need to return it"

Cashier 1, "Do you have your receipt?"
"Yes, right here"

Cashier 1, "This item isn't on your receipt"
"Yes, I know, That's what I just explained. I want to pay the proper amount for this and get the correct receipt"

Cashier 1, "Do you have the other item with you?"
"No, it's in my shop, I paid the right amount for it so I just want to do that for this one."

Cashier 1, "I don't know how to do that."
"Well just charge me the difference and give me the proper receipt"
Line is starting to grow behind me.

"
Why not?"
Cashier 1, "I don't have a button for that"
"Well then, just give me a refund for what I paid, then I'll pay the right amount and you can give me the correct receipt"
Manager has noticed the line growing longer and is watching with arms crossed.

Cashier 1, "I can't give you a refund, I don't have a button for that"
"What do you have a button for?"
Cashier 1, "I have a button for Returns"
"OK then let's use that button"
Cashier 1, "Let me get some help"

Cashier 2, "What seems to be the problem?"

I go through the whole spiel again. Line up has gotten quite a bit longer. No choir boys in that lineup. Language is getting rougher.

Cashier 2, "Do you have your receipt?"
"Yes, right here"
Cashier 2, "This item isn't on your receipt"
"Yes, I know, That's what I just explained. I want to pay the proper amount for this and get the correct receipt"
Cashier 2, "Do you have the other item with you?"
"No, it's in my shop, I paid the right amount for it so I just want to do that for this one."
Cashier 2, "I don't know how to do that."
Manager is having a pretty good chuckle at this point. Guys in line aren't.

Cashier 2, I don't know how to do that."
"Why not?"
Cashier 2, "I don't have a button for that"
"Well then, just give me a refund, then I'll pay the right amount and you can give me the correct receipt"

Cashier 2, "I can't give you a refund, I don't have a button for that"
"What do you have a button for"
Cashier 2, "I have a button for Returns"
"No as I explained, I paid the right amount for it, so I didn't return it."
Cashier 2, "So you want to return this?"
"Well if that's what we have to do to straighten it out, let's do it that way"
Cashier 2, "Is there something wrong with it?"
"Not yet, but there might be, so I just want to pay the full amount and get the right receipt"
Cashier 2, "Well, I' think I'll need the other item to scan to do a return"

"Do you want me to go and get of of the items items off the floor for you to scan?"
Cashier 2, "I guess so, I don't know?"

I go get another one. Just about a riot breaking out now as both cashiers are in a serious tête-à-tête as to how to solve this.
I return with the other item, they still look pretty unsure of themselves. Finally the manager walks over and says to his guardians of the tills:

"Really! Take the mans money, give him the proper receipt, and thank him for doing whats right!"

He then turned to me with a big grin, shook my hand, and said: "Thank you sir"

I had a lot more fun with this than the guys in line behind me, but seriously I didn't know if I was in the Twilight Zone or if I was reenacting the Monty Python skit, 'I'd like an argument'

Ha, Ha, robin nice story.........

The question i asked though is this.............if the Manager was watching the whole process and having a chuckle behind the scene and solved the problem with a simple practical solution.................Why do the tellers not know ????.......never been taught !!!!........Probably given a crash course in how to do a till, given a," here is how things are done and do not question why it is done this way"..............

For me the story paints the manager as someone who is belittling the tellers, and the customers, by making sure they can't perform simple solutions thus enabling the manager to show superiority when such problems arise..........Surely he should have intervened way earlier. Now there are all those people that were held up are going to tell the same story about the "dumb" tellers...........

How has the manager done his job???..........

1 he let a situation get out of hand while he was watching........

2 By letting the line of customers grow and frustration build he wasn't representing the company properly, or doing his job.

3 Classic example of belittling fellow workers by letting them make fools of them selves then steping in a solving the problem with a superior attitude, when it is his job to make sure they know how to work their tools of trade......the Till is their tool of trade.

4 The manager hasn't done his job properly by not education the work force under his supervision.

Those things do cross over each other and go a bit hand in hand.

How do those Till operators now feel when they have been made to look a fool in-front of customers......How do they think of their own worth when a manager doesn't educate and belittles like he did.........this is bullying and narcissistic behavior.

This one's fun. Had to wait to share it, it'll take a bit of time to tell.

Bought a couple items at Princess Auto one day that were in nearly identical packing but one cost considerably more than the other.
Didn't notice till I got home so went back the next day to straighten it out.

Cashier 1, "How may I help you"
"I bought 2 items yesterday and was charged the same price for both. This item costs a lot more so I'd like to correct that and get the proper receipt in case I ever need to return it"

Cashier 1, "Do you have your receipt?"
"Yes, right here"

Cashier 1, "This item isn't on your receipt"

Cashier 1, "Do you have the other item with you?"

Line is starting to grow behind me.

"
Why not?"
Cashier 1, "I don't have a button for that"
"Well then, just give me a refund for what I paid, then I'll pay the right amount and you can give me the correct receipt"
Manager has noticed the line growing longer and is watching with arms crossed.

Cashier 1, "I can't give you a refund, I don't have a button for that"
"What do you have a button for?"
Cashier 1, "I have a button for Returns"
Cashier 1, "Let me get some help"

Cashier 2, "What seems to be the problem?"

I go through the whole spiel again. Line up has gotten quite a bit longer. No choir boys in that lineup. Language is getting rougher.

Cashier 2, "Do you have your receipt?"
"Yes, right here"
Cashier 2, "This item isn't on your receipt"
Cashier 2, "I don't know how to do that."
Manager is having a pretty good chuckle at this point. Guys in line aren't.

Cashier 2, I don't know how to do that."
"Why not?"
Cashier 2, "I don't have a button for that"
"Well then, just give me a refund, then I'll pay the right amount and you can give me the correct receipt"

Cashier 2, "I can't give you a refund, I don't have a button for that"
"What do you have a button for"
Cashier 2, "I have a button for Returns"
"No as I explained, I paid the right amount for it, so I didn't return it."
Cashier 2, "So you want to return this?"
"Well if that's what we have to do to straighten it out, let's do it that way"
Cashier 2, "Is there something wrong with it?"
"Not yet, but there might be, so I just want to pay the full amount and get the right receipt"
Cashier 2, "Well, I' think I'll need the other item to scan to do a return"

"Do you want me to go and get of of the items items off the floor for you to scan?"
Cashier 2, "I guess so, I don't know?"

I go get another one. Just about a riot breaking out now as both cashiers are in a serious tête-à-tête as to how to solve this.
I return with the other item, they still look pretty unsure of themselves. Finally the manager walks over and says to his guardians of the tills:

"Really! Take the mans money, give him the proper receipt, and thank him for doing whats right!"

He then turned to me with a big grin, shook my hand, and said: "Thank you sir"

I had a lot more fun with this than the guys in line behind me, but seriously I didn't know if I was in the Twilight Zone or if I was reenacting the Monty Python skit, 'I'd like an argument'

Hi Robin,
alas, it ain't just the kids that got no etiquette.
Me, 5 other old farts and the kid sent by the local race car club were stood in line outside Saskatoon's House of Tools store waiting for the doors to open so we could buy one of the very limited supply of shop cranes they had on at 50% reduction.
Door opened. I'm 3rd in line. #1 buys a crane. #2 buys a crane. Then the clerk effs off someplace to leave us standing there.
Then I hear t'other clerk selling OUR cranes ON THE 'PHONE! So I yell at her.
HEY LADY, YOU SELL ANY MORE CRANES ON THE 'PHONE WHILE WE STAND IN LINE FOR THEM YOU'LL SEE AN UGLY OLD MAN RIOT IN HERE. I got my crane, as did we all. Had to break the package open to load it into the car one part at a time to avoid rupturing myself.

Ha, Ha, robin nice story.........

The question i asked though is this.............if the Manager was watching the whole process and having a chuckle behind the scene and solved the problem with a simple practical solution.................Why do the tellers not know ????.......never been taught !!!!........Probably given a crash course in how to do a till, given a," here is how things are done and do not question why it is done this way"..............

For me the story paints the manager as someone who is belittling the tellers, and the customers, by making sure they can't perform simple solutions thus enabling the manager to show superiority when such problems arise..........Surely he should have intervened way earlier. Now there are all those people that were held up are going to tell the same story about the "dumb" tellers...........

How has the manager done his job???..........

1 he let a situation get out of hand while he was watching........

2 By letting the line of customers grow and frustration build he wasn't representing the company properly, or doing his job.

3 Classic example of belittling fellow workers by letting them make fools of them selves then steping in a solving the problem with a superior attitude, when it is his job to make sure they know how to work their tools of trade......the Till is their tool of trade.

4 The manager hasn't done his job properly by not education the work force under his supervision.

Those things do cross over each other and go a bit hand in hand.

How do those Till operators now feel when they have been made to look a fool in-front of customers......How do they think of their own worth when a manager doesn't educate and belittles like he did.........this is bullying and narcissistic behavior.
good eg of this is those people that were killed on the water ride on the gold coast amusment park.. the inquest found that both the operators (young ones) hadn't been shown how to shut the ride down in a emergency , all they had to do was push a button and those 4 people would have been alive

Stopped at a McDonald's one time outside of Detroit. The wife ordered a McChicken sandwich that was new in our area. The girl said that they didn't have McChicken sandwiches and that Burger King might have McChicken sandwiches.

Scott

I deposited a $15 check into my account a few years ago and the bank put it thru as $30 deposit. I went into the Bank and explained it to them but they wanted to charge me $45 fee to recall this check back from the system... I explained it carefully to this lovely young bank clerk again....She told me again it is a $45 fee to recall the check. I thanked her and walked out of the bank $15 better off. Go figure!!

I do not know the age of the person who did the work, but I do suspect that they were quite young. My son just had some insurance work done on his car, at a reputable local Ford dealer. It was a small dent and scrape in the middle of the door. When he picked up the car it had very nice new paint on the door, with the same small dent.

Scott

This was a while ago but an example of Bureaucracy at its best and a young person.

Was on the dole between jobs, On a form that had to be submitted every fortnight, (had to be done in person), there was a section where 4 prospective employers, who had been contacted, had to be written down to show that one was trying to get work.

Got a job and was taking the Form in for the final time, (had to be done in person), and to report i had work and didn't need to receive a benefit any more.

Get to the counter and give my form to the young attendant. Have the name of my new employer on it and stating i had found employment.......Didn't fill out the 3 other areas where it asked where i had applied for some work.

Attendant....You haven't filled out the full form.........

Me.....Sorry where is that.......

Attendant..........you haven't filled out and written down all the employers you have to ask for work............

Me........I have got a job so i thought i didn't need to ask around for more.

Attendant........But you have to fill out the full form..........

Me.........but i have a job, why would i need to look for more work?????

Attendant......If you don't fill out the full form you will not receive your final payment and this will be recorded against you.

Me......So your saying even though i got a job and haven't filled out the other 3 spaces where it asks who i have asked for work i will not receive my last payment and this will go on my record if in the future i do need assistance.

Attendant......Yes.

Me.........Ok, do you have a phone book i can use.....

Attendant.......Blank look.....Ahhh what do you want a phone book for.

Me........I just need it to look up 3 people i can write down their names to fill in the blanks on the form............

Attendant............Shock, Horror, Gasp, ........You cant do that you have to ask people.........

Me........really, do you really think all these people who were in front and are behind me actually go out and ask or work.......

Attendant........you have to go and ask and write down the people who you have asked for work...........

Me.......Ok.....Tel you what....i'm going to go across the road to the Phone box and look up 3 people and write their names down, fill out the form and give it back to you........

So i did just that..... returned to the Que........waited another 1/2 hour to get to the desk where i returned the form,

it was looked over, (by the same Attendant), who promptly stamped the form and said thank you.......Next........

I deposited a $15 check into my account a few years ago and the bank put it thru as $30 deposit.
A long time ago I would go through the drive thru bank every payday to deposit my check, Once I didn't have my account number on me so the teller asked me my name. She wrote down the account number and sent it to me. I kept that paper in the car and used it every payday, Before long all my checks started bouncing, I went inside to the office to talk to them and the lady asked my account number. I handed her the paper. She looked at her computer and then turned white and said "Where did you get this?" It was the account of somebody else with the same name as me! Somewhat unusual name, so I guess the teller felt safe.

Back