Painting a chrone fender.

I think the best way would be to take it to a chrome shop and have them strip it. Plan B for me would be, bead blast it, then use an etching primer. I am sure others with more experience will offer up good advice.

Find an 82 painted fender?
:agree: What he said....

An etch primer isn't going to touch chrone chrome. It's also been my experience that glass beads will fling themselves against chrome only to get shattered into dust.... and do very little to the chrome.

Two ways I've found effective: Sandblasting or sanding. For sanding you need about 60-80 grit discs... and lots of 'em. Then a good 2 part epoxy primer.

Still, the best way would be as already mentioned... have a chromer strip it.

I found a plating shop that will strip chrome. Now I need to find a usable front and get both front nd rear done at the same time. Shame, the rear is really nice.
I have a shitty rear fender you may have. I think it might be perfect for your need. It came off of an XS650SK.

I painted one with very good success.

Took a heavy sanding disc (30-40 grit if memory serves me correctly) to it and scuffed it up real good.

2k etch primer - filler primer - sand - 2k paint.

Had it one the bike a few years now with no problems.

Er, I may be missing something but what's the problem? Lots of British bikes had chromed and painted tanks. Royal Enfield stuff still does. I painted my dinged-up, chrome RD250 lower triple tree cover years ago. No problems right up to the point someone pinched the bike. Chrome is harder than steel and so difficult to scuff up to get a key. But apart from that ...

?

Dave

No secret to painting over chrome, same as painting over any surface, it has to be keyed. Waste of time and money getting the chrome removed.
These TX650 fenders were rusted chrome when I bought them, I just hit them with an angle grinder and disk, then smoothed any lifted chrome with 120 sandpaper. I've painted a few chrome guards, never had a problem, just rough the chrome up and make sure there is no chrome lifting.

Attachments

• rusted guard.jpg
    rusted guard.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 67
  • tank guard headlight.jpg
    tank guard headlight.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 67
Back