What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
I'm guessing that Yamaha hit a home run with that, rather colorful, paint scheme but US market production needs dictated the simpler (faster) red/white:shrug:
You might be right JP. Was jus' gonna comment that Yamaha really missed the boat not offering this scheme in the N. A. market. They'd a killed it.

They never looked that good coming out of the factory! Looks like glass! Hell that’s too pretty to put gas in! I’d hang that in my living room and just stare at it! 😄
LOL; just getting ready to say: I think I will hang it the office (or shop) for a while, I keep getting new projects and the XS2 keeps getting interrupted - was supposed to start in Feb. after the 750 Resto-mod:doh::shootme:

:laughing:

It really is amazing... normally takes me 'bout an hour to buff out a tank. This was about 15 min and done!!
Just did a buddy's Sportster and yeah, waaaaay faster than the old way. I used a 6" orbital on the large area and a hook and loop hand pad elsewhere, them my 3" air buffer and about 1oz. max of compound/polish. Takes longer to break out the shine box than to do the work. Glad it helped .

A fresh new canvas.

obi-wan-mustache.gif

1681508677191.png

Attachments

• obi-wan-mustache.gif
    obi-wan-mustache.gif
    91 KB · Views: 27
Beautiful work...

Nice B-2 Bomber pin too by the way. ;)👍
Figured you'd pick up on that. :sneaky:
'Bout a year after I retired from teaching, the Dean called me and asked if I was interested in teaching a bunch of Air Force guys. Hmm... :umm:
Turns out the Air Force was starting up a new program. Let me back up a bit for you non-Air Force types....

Air Force mechanics are some of the best trained in the world. In the civilian world that don't mean squat. To work on airplanes in the civilian world, you need this license called an Airframe and Powerplant license. Without it, you can't touch an airliner. Problem is, the civilian and military worlds are well.... worlds apart. You can be qualified to fix a B-2 but not a Boeing 737.

In 2017 the Air Force started a program where someone retiring could go to an advanced school (on their own time), and if they passed all their tests and got the A&P license, the Air Force would pay for all of it.

More digressing.... when I retired in '94, all the Air Force said was don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.... oh, and good luck out there.
So I went to an advanced school to get my coveted A&P.... without which my 25yrs experience didn't mean squat. The school cost me $2500 in '94 dollars :yikes: and took a month to get through.

Back to the story... me and Norm.... the tall guy in the pics below, wrote a curriculum and set up a 30 day course for the B-2 guys down at Whiteman field... 'bout 2 hrs south of here. I spent the next year and a half helping retiring guys get their A&P. It ranks as one of the best jobs ever. From time to time one of the Chiefs or CO's would give me Challenge Coin. That's a high honor in the Air Force world. Some of those coins hang on the wall in my garage.

Towards the end of my teaching, the B-2 guys invited us down for an open house. We spent an afternoon crawling over the Air Forces bestest nuclear bomber.

I had a blast.

b2 and me.JPG

b2 and me2.JPG

b2 and me22.JPG

1681528659555.png

'Bout a year after I retired from teaching, the Dean called me and asked if I was interested in teaching a bunch of Air Force guys. Hmm... :umm:
Turns out the Air Force was starting up a new program. Let me back up a bit for you non-Air Force types....

Air Force mechanics are some of the best trained in the world. In the civilian world that don't mean squat. To work on airplanes in the civilian world, you need this license called an Airframe and Powerplant license. Without it, you can't touch an airliner. Problem is, the civilian and military worlds are well.... worlds apart. You can be qualified to fix a B-2 but not a Boeing 737.

In 2017 the Air Force started a program where someone retiring could go to an advanced school (on their own time), and if they passed all their tests and got the A&P license, the Air Force would pay for all of it.

More digressing.... when I retired in '94, all the Air Force said was don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.... oh, and good luck out there.
So I went to an advanced school to get my coveted A&P.... without which my 25yrs experience didn't mean squat. The school cost me $2500 in '94 dollars :yikes: and took a month to get through.

Back to the story... me and Norm.... the tall guy in the pics below, wrote a curriculum and set up a 30 day course for the B-2 guys down at Whiteman field... 'bout 2 hrs south of here. I spent the next year and a half helping retiring guys get their A&P. It ranks as one of the best jobs ever. From time to time one of the Chiefs or CO's would give me Challenge Coin. That's a high honor in the Air Force world. Some of those coins hang on the wall in my garage.

Towards the end of my teaching, the B-2 guys invited us down for an open house. We spent an afternoon crawling over the Air Forces bestest nuclear bomber.

I had a blast.

View attachment 240535

View attachment 240536

View attachment 240537

View attachment 240538

I wondered if that was a coin or a pin, couldn't quite tell for sure...very cool.

I sure do miss those days, especially all my time on the F-117 Stealth Fighter, we got treated like rock stars every where we went with those aircraft.

This was my last trip (out of very many!) to the sandbox...the opening night of Iraqi Freedom. I put in my retirement paperwork shortly after I got back.

Retired in 2004, then another 10 years contracting for the Army on helicopters.

1681530917396.png

I wondered if that was a coin or a pin, couldn't quite tell for sure...very cool.

I sure do miss those days, especially all my time on the F-117 Stealth Fighter, we got treated like rock stars every where we went with those aircraft.

This was my last trip (out of very many!) to the sandbox...the opening night of Iraqi Freedom. I put in my retirement paperwork shortly after I got back.

View attachment 240539

Very cool!

Me in the First Gulf War.... Desert Storm. Retired a few yrs after.
Gotta be honest... can't say as I miss the sandbox days. :wink2:
Wouldn't trade 'em for the world, but don't really miss 'em.

Jim.jpg

Last edited:

I had a blast.

View attachment 240535

View attachment 240536

View attachment 240537

View attachment 240538

View attachment 240539

You guys certainly had an interesting military experience! 😎

I had a blast.

View attachment 240535

View attachment 240536

View attachment 240537

View attachment 240538
Thank you for your service.

View attachment 240539
Thank you for your service.

Back