What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
They're made over in your part of the world Rob. Close enough to go visit 'em maybe??

Didn't see a capacity on it. I'll look a little closer here in a bit and let you know.

1694185069921.png

Last edited:
Had rust remover in this tank for 2 days now. No weeping at any seams... so Im'a call it good. :cautious:

View attachment 253386

And started on this one also....

View attachment 253387

EDIT:
I originally took the lower photo for the very pretty 1973 electric blue, gold and white colour scheme - very snazz - but as pointed out below by Marty, it is actually a 1977 XS650D in the very handsome Bountiful Blue scheme. :rock:

I think that in 1973 Yamaha called the bike a TX650...although I may have that wrong. They were in the midst of their "Be patient with us as we are still searching for a model designator plan and branding scheme, phase....".

Anyhow, IMO, it is a toss-up between the '73 TX650 colours and the 1975 XS650B black, gold and white as to which is the prettiest factory paint scheme ever put on a bike.

...and by golly, that Jim sure can paint 'em. His work is just beyond perfection.

Pete

Last edited:
Oooohhhh - I do like that 1973 electric blue, gold and white colour scheme - very snazz! :rock: I think that year, Yamaha called the bike a TX650...although I may have that wrong. They were in the midst of their "Be patient with us as we are still searching for a model designator plan and branding scheme, phase....".

Anyhow, IMO, it is a toss-up between the TX650 colours and the 1975 XS650B black, gold and white as to which is the prettiest factory paint scheme ever put on a bike.

...and by golly, that Jim sure can paint 'em. His work is just beyond perfection.

Pete
Just to nitpick, the decal says it’s a 1977 in Bountiful Blue. Also pretty, IMHO.

:poke:

Just to nitpick, the decal says it’s a 1977 in Bountiful Blue. Also pretty, IMHO.

:poke:

Oh gosh - you are right Marty - sorry about that boo-boo which I have corrected above.

That '77 scheme is nice too, though I am partial to the '73....

1697654344858.png

So everyone knows, the Special tank that Jim did is a work of art. I did not realize at the time that the tank contours emphasize the Special side covers and drop stepped seat contours. After a side by side picture 6 months later I had an "Ah Ha" moment... An extra gallon in a standard tank will not hurt chasing the Rally crew through Arkansas or Tennessee either...
20231001_145541.jpg

Last edited:
Your comment disappeared @atom4488 :umm:
Made better use of the search function...I wanted a refresher on how you prep chrome for paint. I found the answer further back in the thread. I think I have a reasonable stock of those Rolox flapper wheels, fringe benefits of working in an aviation-related business ;). I also have that sort of a wheel for a bench grinder.

Back