Pamco blown!!!!!!!

stunter6912

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I had the bike all ready to go but I had to weld my battery box to the frame and now the bike won't start. What could I have done!!!!! Ignition coil, Pma, pamco ???????????

And now what? Lights work? Spark at the plugs? Any more information you can provide? Is the PAMCO board melted? I mean you gotta provide a bit more information if you're going to ask for help.

stuter6912,

The general rule is to remove all electronics from the vehicle before welding. It probably says that somewhere in your welder instructions.

I have no clue if there's spark. Battery has power. It ran great before. Could it just be the coil since its bolted to the frame. The power is on a fuse and its nit blown??? Its just I don't have 500 for a new pma and pamco

So you haven't checked the fuses yet? Sounds like you need to walk away from it for a few hours, have a couple beers and come back to it fresh tomorrow.

I don't mean to be abrupt or rude, but nobody here has a crystal ball to see your bike and know what you have or haven't checked already and nobody is going to keep asking every possible question first.

Why don't you have a clue if you have spark? Is it because you haven't checked or don't know how to check?

OK the 2 pamco wires to the coil have power but not sure about the plugs!!! Could it have blown reg/rec or pma? ??? I'm really hopeing its just the coil!

take your spark plugs out while still plugged into the spark plug caps and ground them to the engine, secure them firmly so while you turn the engine over they don't fall off and un-ground themselves. can do one at a time or both, i prefer 1 so i have less of a chance of losing ground contact to the spark plug. the spark plug threads contact the spark plug hole threads in the engine which is where the spark plugs get grounded and the engine is grounded to the frame frame to your battery -.

alligator clips could work also to make sure you do have contact if your engine is grimy at all.

Once your satisfied that they wont unground and you can see the spark plug gap to watch the spark, turn the key on and turn it over and watch the spark. dont over do it, it should spark on the first or second revolution

Your not supposed to run the higher output coil (or any coil for that matter) with out an outlet for the spark as it will fry your coil. but you really do need to make sure spark is happening as thats going to be at least the first step in diagnosis.

Pull both plugs out of the head. Plug them back into the plug wires. Turn on the key. Hold onto both plugs. Have someone crank or kick the bike over. Get back to us.

No, power goes to the Pamco AND the coil on the red/white wires. It sounds like you don't know much about how an ignition works.
With your Pamco It gets power from the bike harness on the red/white wire. It uses this power to run the Hall effect transister. The coil gets power on the bikes red/white wire. Power flows out of the coil to the Pamco on the green wire.
Now as the engine turns over the Pamco rotor spins. This makes the magnets in the rotor pass the hall effect transister. One Magnet turns the transister on, the next turns it off. When the hall effect transister is on the Pamco uses the power on the red/white wire to send power to the main current transister to turn it off and on. When the magnet turns on the hall effect it turns on the main transister. When the main transister is on it grounds the power from the coil on the green wire. This power flow through the coil builds a powerful magnetic feild in the coil.
When the next magnet in the rotor turns the power off this magnetic feild collapses and generates the high voltage to jump the spark plug gap.
So just because power is going to the coil doesn't mean that the Pamco is good or bad. You need to check for spark. Apt3customs told you how. You can just check one plug. The way the Pamco coil works it fires both plugs at the same time. So if you have good spark at one the other probably does too.
How if it does get spark then your coil and the Pamco are ok.
But there is a good chance you cooked the Pamco by welding on the frame with the Pamco hooked up.
Leo

Back