PAMCO, PMA system help

have a 1980 650 and needing to get pamco ignition and pma system. - - -

Hi JLove,
why do you NEED to do that?
Even if your '80's stock system is totally FUBAR isn't it more cost effective to simply replace it?

The 24-2610 kit eliminates the problematic mechanical advance.

Hi Scabber,
true, but only on a '79 or older bike.
JLov's post sez he's got an '80 which has TCI and don't have no steenkin' mechanical advancer to be problematic with.
Which is why I wondered, WTF, Eh?

Hi JLove,
why do you NEED to do that?
Even if your '80's stock system is totally FUBAR isn't it more cost effective to simply replace it?
Not everyone holds the same values around cost effectiveness. Others optimize for other things, and the difference between all of us is what makes the world go 'round.

/end social psychology rant.

The kits with the mechanical advancers can be bought for the 80 up bikes.
I believe the "Original Pamco" Is just the basic unit. No extras Just enough to replace the points, you have to add the new coil.
On an 80 up bike you want a kit that has everything you need. except the pricey plugs. You can get them about 30% cheaper at the car pars store.
Kits can be bought that use the old style mechanical advancer but the kits with the E-advancer are a easier to install and won't need to tinker with tuning the advancer.
Also Why do you NEED to get a PMA and Pamco? The Pamco I can relate to. Your TCI ignition may not last much longer. The PMA has only one real advantage, it can run without a battery. All other reasons are just Hype.
On a PMA Hugh's has much better costumer support than Mike's. Hugh is a member here and will help you get your's right. He even helps get others systems right.
The PMA does require a bit less maintenance, The stock system may need brushes every 5 or 10 years.
Leo

Hughs PMA is not a plug and play system. You have to solder and crimp connections, (supplied), to fit into a connector, (supplied). Warranty is void if soldering of the connections is not done. If you haven't soldered before then it Hughs system could be problematic.

Hughs system is $20.00 more than mikes or TC bros XS Charge systems. Have to buy a crimp and soldering iron to use with Hughs PMA.

There are numerous threads where people who are running a battery less PMA/Capacitor system are heaving voltage spiking problems in-turn causing other system/componant issues.

To do this conversion without first ascertaining all the facts, especially on hearsay and the sellers hype, is a foolish endevior.

You give no reason on why you need to do this conversion, this leads me to ask.............have you actually done any diagnostics to your charging or ignition system. If you haven't then doing a major change with out diagnosing a problem is going to create a problem down stream. Again many threads on, "why won't it work", when there was no work done to understand how to diagnose or maintain a system and changing things before doing so

Hughs PMA is not a plug and play system. You have to solder and crimp connections, (supplied), to fit into a connector, (supplied). Warranty is void if soldering of the connections is not done. If you haven't soldered before then it Hughs system could be problematic.

On paper yes, but we haven't voided a single warranty to date due to it - we still take care of the customer in the end no matter what, even if the malfunction is due to the customer install or otherwise, we still offer replacement components free or at cost depending on the circumstances.

We leave the wires longer than necessary to allow for custom installs, seems no two of these old machines are being built alike anymore, which I can dig :thumbsup:

Anyone with a 32 year old or older bike should own/operate a soldering iron (in my humble opinion - haha) :D

Hugh

Hugh,

Bottom paragraph post#14.

This is the real question. OP has started 5 threads with up to 20 replys in them and has only 8 posts. No real interaction in his threads and they are all novice questions he as asked. Of course buying a HHB PMA is good for you, but from a point of view to help newbies understand and guide them it may not be the best thing for him at this point in time.

He's making the same "mistakes" I made when I got my bike. No matter whether it worked or not I upgraded it. Bike ran semi-fine, needed some tlc but it got me around. But I tore into it for no real reason and no idea what I was doing and had it rephased, pma, Pamco, the whole 9 yards. Looking back now I wish I would have waited to upgrade everything until I knew how it all worked first.....but, live and learn.

He's making the same "mistakes" I made when I got my bike. No matter whether it worked or not I upgraded it. Bike ran semi-fine, needed some tlc but it got me around. But I tore into it for no real reason and no idea what I was doing and had it rephased, pma, Pamco, the whole 9 yards. Looking back now I wish I would have waited to upgrade everything until I knew how it all worked first.....but, live and learn.

what is it that you dont like now that the bike has all of that?

what is it that you dont like now that the bike has all of that?

Hi solidstateirons,
I'd suppose that it's not that he dislikes any of the changes, it's that he did them without knowing how or if the bike's original kit worked and may have put a lot of time and effort making changes that weren't needed.
Note that so long as the XS650's original kit works properly a lot of those "upgrades" ain't, they are just different.

It's not that I don't like any of it because I do. BUT I sunk ALOT of money and time into an engine that didn't need it. I did a complete engine rebuild when all I really had to do was replace the carb boots.

Back