Petcock and fuel line routing

Dxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished up putting my bike together and I’m down to literally the last step. I’m trying to figure out how to route these fuel lines with a gravity feed petcock from mikes xs and this is a nightmare. The petcock it’s self has an interchange 90degree fitting and a straight one. The straight fitting is too thin for a 1/4 fuel line and the 90 degree point straight up when I install it facing towards the back of the bike , which is what I would like to do because there some room in that direction. Also I have vm34 carbs. I was thinking of putting on both fittings on 1 petcock and the rear facing fitting going to the left side carb and the front facing fitting going to the right carb. Idk what to do at this point. Any help is appreciated

I've had to double up on the washer from the fitting to the petcock to get the angle needed, no foul as long as it doesn't leak.
I'll add that I do have some sheet cork gasket material that is much thicker than the fiber washers that come on those petcock connections and making one from that is always an option.

I just finished up putting my bike together and I’m down to literally the last step. I’m trying to figure out how to route these fuel lines with a gravity feed petcock from mikes xs and this is a nightmare. The petcock it’s self has an interchange 90degree fitting and a straight one. The straight fitting is too thin for a 1/4 fuel line and the 90 degree point straight up when I install it facing towards the back of the bike , which is what I would like to do because there some room in that direction. Also I have vm34 carbs. I was thinking of putting on both fittings on 1 petcock and the rear facing fitting going to the left side carb and the front facing fitting going to the right carb. Idk what to do at this point. Any help is appreciated
Can you post pictures? You can use 3/16” fuel line on the straight fitting. On my bike I crossed the feeds so the left petcock feeds the right and right to left on the other side. Iirc my petcocks had barbs that weren’t a snug fit with 1/4” line but I used 1/4” Tygon with a hood clamp and they are leak free.

I have VM34s w/ uni pods /dual mikesxs petcocks and found that using clear inline filters help keep the fuel lines in place where you want them.

I use a straight filter on the left carb and a 90 degree filter on right.

The right carb can a little bit tricky to route because the fuel inlet is on left side of the carb body.

It takes a bit of trial and error to get the fuel line length dialled in.

I’ll try and snap some pics.

Left Carb:

90 degree petcock barb; straight fliter

IMG_0568.jpeg

Right Carb:

Straight petcock barb; 90 degree filter

IMG_0574.jpeg
IMG_0573.jpeg

Hope this helps.

A picture or two would really help us in your situation. Am I understanding correctly that when the 90 degree fitting installed that when tight it points up instead of down? Are you using any thread sealant on the fitting in your Petcock?

I put a very short piece of 3/16 Tygon tubing over the petcock nipple. I slid 1/4 Tygon tubing and a clamp over that. It works fine, so far. Others have done the same. I didn’t come up with the fix on my own.

So I was thinking instead of running 1 line from the petcock and T ing it off to each carb. Maybe I can put 2 fittings on 1 petcock and run an individual line to each carb from the same petcock. Has anyone ever done that ?? Also when I put the 90 degree on the rear of the petcock it faces up

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 46
Hmmm....
Those petcocks are an either/or on their outlets so it should function as a splitter. Easy enough to find out.
I'd still be finding washers to fill the gap between the fitting and the body of the petcock and where you want the outlet direction and angle to point.

Hmmm....
Those petcocks are an either/or on their outlets so it should function as a splitter. Easy enough to find out.
I'd still be finding washers to fill the gap between the fitting and the body of the petcock and where you want the outlet direction and angle to point.
So the front outlet of the petcock is good, it faces downwards but there’s not much room in that direction to run a line and spilt it and get fuel evenly to both carbs. And from the rear it faces up. So I was thinking running the 90 degree in the front to the left carb. And running a straight fitting to the rear and running that fuel line to the right carb. I’m just waiting for the mail because I destroyed these fitting messing around with them so much. So I have fittings that should be arriving today

Further to my earlier post here’s what I did (Left to right and right to left). For stock carbs but may work for you too?

IMG_3836.jpeg

I see
Further to my earlier post here’s what I did (Left to right and right to left). For stock carbs but may work for you too?

View attachment 249941 I see what you did. But I have vm34 slide carbs inlet for the gas is in completely different location then on your carbs You show in the picture Plus my gas tank only has 1 petcock. It looks like your has 2 petcocks and you criscrossed the lines

Alright gentlemen. I figured it out. I put 2 different fittings on the solo petcock. Direct paths, each have their own filter and I’m getting good gas. Now it’s time to tune these carbs. It idles good but when I give it gas in 1st gear it bogs down and out Any suggestions on the tune??? Thanks fellas

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpeg
    IMG_1256.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1266.png
    IMG_1266.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    853.5 KB · Views: 59
Baseline per @grizld1:
Slide: 2.5. PJ: 22.5 to 25. NJ: Series 159, P-5 or P-6. Needle: 6F9. MJ: 180 to 190. Main Air Jet: Remove.

Those were Dick Russell's recommendations - who was very experienced with tuning VM34's to XS650's - it refers to the air jet in the intake bell as shown in the diagram gggGary posted. Yes, completely remove it

Back