Piston circlips ARGH!!!

what type? spirals, C's, snap ring? C's stick one end into groove and chase it in from there with a small screwdriver, spirals basicilly the same start the end and work from there, snap rings need a good set of snap ring pliers

They can be 3-handed little turds sometimes. If you can get an end in the groove, and "chock" it with a tool so it does not try to rotate, or put pressure on it from the back side with the face of the wrist pin, it helps with chasing the other end in with a small screwdriver.

your not reusing originals are you? just using new stockers?
when you get them in, give a few turns to make sure they are seated in the groove.

And a tip from the karting world - set the open end of the "C" facing up or down, not to the side. Faced to the side, high RPM operation and the up and down motion of the piston can compress the clip, allowing it to pop out.

your not reusing originals are you? just using new stockers?
when you get them in, give a few turns to make sure they are seated in the groove.

Yep, reusing some 12K mile clips. The were'nt deformed at all when I took them out and the way the fought to go back in, I have no concerns.

Thankf for the help, guys:thumbsup:

you are resusing a part that costs 2 bux? huh...

the best way i found to get them back in is put the open end down like 5twins recommended, have the right side of the c-clip in the groove then push in and down really hard on the 8-9 oclock position (opposite the inserted side) using a punch, they should slip right in.

i launched a few of them trying to figure this out

Back