Please allow me to introduce myself...(FNG)

Nailbomb

Central New York XS650
Reaction score
Well, I' not exactly new to XS650s or bikes in general, but I've learned with other hobbies that advice from others often pays off in dividends(so long as you can sort out who to listen to!).

I've got two XS650 frames, and a few bins full of parts specific to them, as well as a whole lot of other bikes parts in general.

Grew up on and around bikes, and even took a stab at doing some work for others on them. Got kindof burned and mostly lost interest in doing it for others who aren't friends and family.

I'm no machinist, and won't claim to be. I'm a union pipefitter/welder and valve tech. So the mechanical inclination is there, I've just never used a lathe.

Got my first XS650 in 2007 and learned the hard way with it. It was a hack hardtail job, with a tired engine I struggled to keep alive, and no front brake(the mounts were bobbed off!). I loved it though, there was something there in my eyes, and I constantly fought to keep it going.

Sometime later I decided to strip it down and fix some of the UGLY welds on it to find some parts of my frame were more Bondo than metal! It looked like someone had heated up some conduit with a torch and hammered the frame into shape, then used fiberglass filler to make it round again!

The sawsall made a appearance, and the bike got put on the sideline for another bike build. My '59 chopper took two years of dedication from Family, Friends and myself and culminated in a article in Hot Bike magazine.

After that I got into doing some DIY home gunsmithing(and still love that) but the environment has gone due to laws(NY SAFE act).

I need a hobby to keep my hands busy, so my eyes are back on my old frame.

The garage, and the oldest pic I have of the XS650, pre-sawsall
28700_1443786050497_6001421_n.jpg

Another pre-sawsall
28700_1443784130449_770316_n.jpg

More modern, this is while I was cleaning up the neck for some different gussets.(note parts of frames still missing)
10382082_10203387882433619_6500713569825648681_o.jpg

I have a 2 down 4 stretch ardcore hardtail on order(put my order in over 2 months ago) and a quick search on the net told me they moved shop and have been on backlog, I'm just hoping I get my hardtail. I went with the ardcore due to it replacing a larger portion of the frame.

I've got a '80 or '81 engine with way less miles than the old one set aside with VM round slide carbs, and a bowyer ignition, though I' seriously debating going to a PMA, and pamco so I can do a battery delete. the bowyer can just go on the other bike when I get around to it.

In any event I wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Welcome to the forum, Nailbomb!

Bondo and fiberglass covered welds? Yep, that sounds period correct.

Sorry to hear about the gunsmithing thing, that crap's gettin' old.

Post up a pic of that '59.

The '59 is actually on the lift in the first pic. its early in the build however.

163792_1711163814774_7400209_n.jpg

here is the full article in Hot Bike.
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/bikes/generational-ironhead-1956-harley-davidson-xlch-custom

that all said, I wouldn't knock my time working on guns, I turned out some twisted shit.
66043_1599012971073_4923444_n.jpg

1391553_583484785049765_1635131254_n.jpg

...that being said, a time and place for all things. I'll return to them, but first I feel the need to finish a few other projects.

Good stuff but seriously seems like gunsmiths around here are raking it in if they just keep ammo in stock and a Tapco catalog on the counter.

Honestly, I'de love to leave state, but as you can see I'm a bit invested where I am.
the thought has crossed my mind about taking the hit on my credit, dropping the mortgage and finding work elsewhere, but thats a huge jump. In the meantime I do everything I can to create backpressure against the direction of the state... somebody has to be on the front lines right? I protest whenever possible, and donate whenever possible to protect my rights.

Also, I know the tapco shit sells, but I wouldn't want to sell most of it. I'm not the greatest about anything I do, but I take pride in my work. That carries over to bikes also.

The LePara is great so long as I keep about 7-8 lbs of pressure in the rear tire or 13-15 with a passenger. Stay away from radials with hardtails, the stiffer sidewalls on bias plys are your friend. Air them down, and they are your shock. Both my Xs650 and my chopper run the "avon safety mileage mkii" tire.

These were taken around 1972. I'm from San Antonio, lived north of the Lackland/Kelly bases.

http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1633/

Very cool bike! What eventually became of it? Also noticed the front pipe hangs low, did the somewhat nose high stance give you the clearance you needed or was that something you had to be aware of making hard right hand turns?

It was stolen. About 5 different 'groups' were stalking it, one evidently got it. Replaced it with a '71 XS1B. The front pipe is normal routing for dragpipes on those old panheads. Probably looks odd compared to later/modern front pipe routing. A simple clamped slip-fit, they were known to 'pop' off, not the best design.

Your dad and his friends probably knew some my associates, but I slipped out of the bike scene around '78, so I don't directly recall Northtown Cycles. But it's a small world anyway...

Last edited:
you know my chopper has a titled custom frame, and I always wanted to do a lost title on the '59 engine, but that bike came out of the same environment your talking about, and that is exactly why i've never pursued it. I'm terrified that me looking for that title could lose at a minimum a side cover for me... Its still part of that bike and the whole thing is so dear to me.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your bike though. Its a hard pill to swallow to have something you work for taken from you unjustly.

Well, lesson learned. There's no shortage of low-lifes who want what you have. 'They' even made 3 unsuccessful attempts later to get the XS, and 4 unsuccessful attempts to get my hotrodded Vega, and more unsuccessful attempts to get other things. Vigilance, situational awareness, and a mild sadistic thwarting philosophy help in these situations.

I understand your reluctance about the '59 engine. On one hand, it could be a no-problem since 30+ year old unscrupulous activities don't draw much attention and the preferred 'target' year models were a bit older. On the other hand, it could open an unwanted door. Myself, I'd probably just 'let sleeping dogs lie'...

I just picked up on you intro Jake nice write up in the Hot Bike mag. Great write up the bikes transformation to finish. The bike says it all show stopper. Looking foreword to the Yamaha build the better bike build and more fun to ride. TwoMany sorry about your luck but the thieves did you a favor. :D The stock pipe on the rigid frame Harley pan head exited the head and ran inside the frame rail and used an S pipe flattened in the middle to exit outside the rail. I should know I bought a factory chrome one for my 55 pan chopper up sweep pipes. You should know that if you built it. Better off not knowing original ownership I doubt I would show up on a computer files. Your dad didn't have a problem with it. New York or else where I worked with fitters from all over you should be able to work where ever you choose. :thumbsup:

From the late 70s to today is more than enough time to forget more than I know about the old bikes, but your right about the stock exhaust having a pancaked piece of pipe running between the frame and the engine on rigid panheads. My fathers 59 had drag pipes on it when I bought it for him and he switched out to a more stock setup to get back the clearance he lost when turning right.
images

Imagine this without front fender, seat, crashbars, saddlebags.
A bit dirtier, oilier, rustier.
That's how I got it in 1971.

Not being a restorer/purist, I didn't care much for the exhaust, or any thing else other than engine/trans/frame and rear wheel. Pretty much gave it all away (low demand junk at the time)...

Old-Panhead.jpg

Back