Plugged clutch cover holes

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I took a little time this morning to pull my clutch cover. It had been painted black and I wanted to strip it down to match the other side. A wire wheel on my 4" grinder made quick work of it. I noticed though in 3 different locations what appears to be jb weld plugging holes. Could this be from a prior oil cooler set up. I'm not real sure what to think. 2 holes go into the oil pump housing and another further back on the bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 171
It's supposed to be like that. Through-bored holes that are made to create internal passages in the oil pump, and plugged at the outside at the factory after machining.

It's supposed to be like that. Through-bored holes that are made to create internal passages in the oil pump, and plugged at the outside at the factory after machining.

Hi DogBunny,
yes it's factory but it ain't right. Through-bored holes should be sealed by removable threaded plugs with o-rings so you can clean the holes out if it's needed.
The bodging sods at Yamaha plugged the holes shut with gunk to save a dollar.

They drive in a ball bearing or plug then gooper it. pretty normal practice, most things are designed for (1 use cycle)

Back