Quick PMA Question

lexlax

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a PMA (xscharge) and pamco set up,
While riding I have been having charging issues.
So my question is, do I ground the green wire from the regulator pigtail back into the battery as such?
xs650-chop-PMADiagram-587x422.jpg

Currently, I have the green wire from the regulator pigtail, grounded to the frame, in the same spot where my battery negative is grounded. Like the instructions said, and I am having charging issues.

Right now, I am going to follow the Hugh's diagram above and see if it that works and hopefully not run out of juice while riding.

Any input would be great, thanks!

Yes that's correct. Make sure though that your grounds are perfectly clean and good. To check you could run a temporary wire direct to the battery.

You say charging issues? Overcharging, undercharging, not charging at all?

Undercharging definitely. I would ride about 15 miles before the bike cuts out and the headlight is dim. Checked my voltage and have around 8 volts, wait a bit, ride the bike with no light, charges for a little, goes to 10 volts. Then gotta pick it up and trailer it home :/
Don't wanna get stranded again so I'll be putting that green wire on the negative.
Thanks bud!

Ah right. So, you either have a faulty PMA, wiring break or reg / rec.

Start by Charging the battery fully, starting the bike and measuring the voltage at the battery - it should be somewhere in the region of 13.5v - 14v. That will prove the charging system is OK and your battery could be duff. A load test on the Batt will confirm it. If thats all ok, check all wires and connections, including the three from the PMA - make sure they arent crushed, trapped or earthing out somewhere.

Next, youll have to swap a reg / rec as its difficult to test

Have a chat to Hugh too

Back