Rattle can paint job!!

ZeroShadez

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Soo im looking to rattle can paint my sidecovers and eventually my tank. Im a complete novice when it comes to paint.
Step 1 sand down old paint job
Step 2 primer
Step 3 paint
Step 4 a few layers of clear
How wrong am i lol

Step one is to decontaminate the surface to be painted. Remove any silicone`s, wax, oil`s etc before you sand and scuff the surface. Check out Jim`s painting tin`s thread.:thumbsup:

Yep, that's as easy as it gets...

I recommend you watch loads of Youtube videos to see how others do it. Pay special attention to the choice of clear coat. I recommend a 2K clear coat for petrol resistance. There are a few brands about. I have used ProXL in the 500ml spray can and it was sufficient to do a tank plus 2 side covers with 3 good coats. Once ProXL has been mixed it has a pot life of about 12 hours at 25 Celsius so if you just do the side covers you will end up wasting half the can. It is available in smaller cans.

Check out Jim's painting thread. He goes through all the steps in detail and others also chip in to give their experiences. Well worth going through:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/painting-tins-no-really.56271/#post-623527

I think Jim used a 2K clear in a rattle can??

Once ProXL has been mixed it has a pot life of about 12 hours at 25 Celsius so
In the early days of poly's (late 60's early 70's) we used to put mixed Imron in the fridge overnight and shoot it the next morning.
I'm curious Paul if you ever tried that on a can to see if pot life can be extended on the latest poly's?

Jim, funny you should ask. Somewhere, maybe in your paint thread, I mention how I accidentally marked the tank and touched it up with some ProXL that had been sitting in the can at least 24 hours. I sprayed a panel and tested its petrol cloth rub resistance over a couple of days and this was still very good. The temperature overnight was about 16 Celsius. So yes, you could stick ProXL in a fridge to reuse the next day. Maybe I mentioned it in the thread where your 2K Epoxy would not cure in the tank due to lack of evaporation??

Back