Ready to fire up

cra-z1

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Started this 1982 XJ550 project along with a 73 Z1900 mid Nov. I planned on firing it up today but its snowing. So maybe tomorrow. This one was a lot of work.

complete.jpeg

It was a complete rebuild. Engine torn down completely, cases blasted, parts inspected/replaced, top end reworked. Lucky it only needed a basic valve job. Cylinder honed and new rings. Cant get oversize pistons for it so I have to live with just within tolerance. Didn't want to put new sleeves in it. Tank was painted, frame powder coated. New bearings/brakes, tires, carbs overhaul. To many other little things to mention that were sourced on e-bay and actually around the world.
I picked this bike up on a whim in SD with out seeing it, I bought a CB550 on the side of the road and he had a friend who wanted to sell this I said sure. Should have passed. Started up real nice and sound good. will take it on its test ride probably tomorrow. Lucky I like challenges! The bike had that fine brown dust in every crevice. That was extremely hard to get off. Ultrasound still left a film of it which had to be rubbed off.
XJ4ever.com supplied a lot of the hard to get parts. I think I got the last rear cam chain guide in the world.

The CB550 was also a bit of a challange but turned out great.
z1 and cb550 copy.jpg

In college I used to go water skiing with another student who had one. From the lake, we'd race back to Daytona Beach. The 550 Maxim was much quicker than my XS650, but I'd stay on the throttle and reel him in. Good times!

Back