Emptying out the garage had started!

FD450EBB-1DB6-47CD-AF5B-69D224F1E2E6.jpeg
EDC8B629-7E45-4F8C-AE1A-C42CB12FE17D.jpeg
51056F0C-4A44-4D09-B720-52B628F3053F.jpeg
60C648DE-BAA3-42E7-9971-C4EF2468CDD7.jpeg
FD998D28-525D-453E-9FBE-D69D3E9F7340.jpeg
F07C5253-DF29-4B67-AC6A-9AADE007BE72.jpeg
3EF9C8D3-4EC7-418F-AA09-0F5FA4704CBA.jpeg

The house I bought 8 years ago, first owner added external garage in which to store his bass boat, he added a center drain, hot n cold water to be able to wash down but the walls he did in Hardy Board for flame retardance.

Well sportsfans....the next chapter in the Great Canadian Pole Barn Project has begun: electrical wiring!

One of my key concerns was the 12' ceiling height in there. I can work at heights but I don't really enjoy it and going up and down a ladder is hard on my poor old knees and so I wasn't looking forward to the task. What I needed was some sort of portable / easily moveable scaffolding that I could use to get me and my tools and wiring supplies and up and down and around inside the barn without a massive expenditure of my energy and the remaining TBO on my OEM left knee.

Hmmmmm......:umm:

....enter my former grad student "LL" who is gone on to become a senior executive with a major Detroit-based automotive engineering consulting firm (take a guess - name the biggest and most prominent one...yup, that's the one...).

1666622809178.png

As it happens, LL is also building a pole barn - his is about 4 months behind mine at the moment - and he is also a total wizard on ebay, and at equipment auction sites....a few weeks ago he got me a brand new in the box Honda powered DeWalt pressure washer that retails here for about $1200 - for about $250 USD.

So, imagine my joy when, on Friday, he told me that he had just bought a Grove SM3248E ManLift being sold for parts at an auction in MI for just a few hundred $ - and when he got it home, all that turned out to be wrong was a blown main fuse (cost, about $30 CAD). We're not sure why the fuse blew - likely some dipsh!t shorted the battery terminals at some point and didn't want to admit his/her mistake.

Now, this unit isn't going to win any prizes in a beauty contest, but he pressure-washed it and replaced the fuse and now everything works well, it doesn't leak any hydraulic oil and it is a beast with a 32' lift and a 750 lb capacity. Apparently, one of these units is worth $20-30K new....so, a massive ROI here gents.

P_B-92.JPG

P_B-93.JPG

It will definitely do the job for wiring my 12' inside height pole barn and of course, his barn as well (his will be a 16 footer). The big Grove is now firmly ensconced in my barn (delivered last night) - and I mean firmly - this puppy weighs more than 3500 lbs.

....more to follow!

Pete

Attachments

• P_B-95.JPG
    P_B-95.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Well sportsfans....the next chapter in the Great Canadian Pole Barn Project has begun: electrical wiring!

One of my key concerns was the 12' ceiling height in there. I can work at heights but I don't really enjoy it and going up and down a ladder is hard on my poor old knees and so I wasn't looking forward to the task. What I needed was some sort of portable / easily moveable scaffolding that I could use to get me and my tools and wiring supplies and up and down and around inside the barn without a massive expenditure of my energy and the remaining TBO on my OEM left knee.

....enter my former grad student "LL" who is gone on to become a senior executive with a major Detroit-based automotive engineering consulting firm (take a guess - name the biggest and most prominent one...yup, that's the one...).

View attachment 228261

As it happens, LL is also building a pole barn - his is about 4 months behind mine at the moment - and he is also a total wizard on ebay, and at equipment auction sites....a few weeks ago he got me a brand new in the box Honda powered DeWalt pressure washer that retails here for about $1200 - for about $250 USD.

So, imagine my joy when, on Friday, he told me that he had just bought a Grove SM3248E ManLift being sold for parts at an auction in MI for just a few hundred $ - and when he got it home, all that turned out to be wrong was a blown main fuse (cost, about $30 CAD). We're not sure why the fuse blew - likely some dipsh!t shorted the battery terminals at some point and didn't want to admit his/her mistake.

Now, this unit isn't going to win any prizes in a beauty contest, but he pressure-washed it and replaced the fuse and now everything works well, it doesn't leak any hydraulic oil and it is a beast with a 32' lift and a 750 lb capacity. Apparently, one of these units is worth $20-30K new....so, a massive ROI here gents.

View attachment 228263

View attachment 228264

It will definitely do the job for wiring my 12' inside height pole barn and of course, his barn as well (his will be a 16 footer). The big Grove is now firmly ensconced in my barn (delivered last night) - and I mean firmly - this puppy weighs more than 3500 lbs.

....more to follow!

Pete
Very nice! Make sure you have a spare fuse and someone on the ground who can change it. Just sayin’.

View attachment 228261

View attachment 228263

View attachment 228264

....more to follow!

Pete
And when your both done the lift can be sold for a great profit
"likely some dipsh!t shorted the battery terminals at some point and didn't want to admit his/her mistake." :laughing:
Good score for the both of you !!

I'm a long time Vintage air cooled VW guy too. Good Grief! your bug could have been in a showroom when I came to being! Back in High School, I had a '59 with original running gear.

I'm a long time Vintage air cooled VW guy too. Good Grief! your bug could have been in a showroom when I came to being! Back in High School, I had a '59 with original running gear.
Between my father, my wife, my two kids and me we had 3 beetles, 3 Ghias, 1 Square back, 1 fast back, 3 vans and 2 Formula Vee race cars, not to mention the 8 or so derelict parts cars (living in the woods is great!).

View attachment 228261

View attachment 228263

View attachment 228264

....more to follow!

Pete
That's the ULTIMATE bike lift!

Fire spray used to be about $3-350 a five but it’s been a couple years since I bought any. I just did a search and it’s still reasonable for the latex base fire spray. It can be sprayed with a normal airless sprayer and is normally not bad to work with. I don’t know what you’re being told you need?

Fire spray used to be about $3-350 a five but it’s been a couple years since I bought any. I just did a search and it’s still reasonable for the latex base fire spray. It can be sprayed with a normal airless sprayer and is normally not bad to work with. I don’t know what you’re being told you need?
The stuff I posted earlier is applied the same as any other latex paint. I have a small airless sprayer that should do the job well.

I was looking at some of the flame-retardant paint for wood, but it looks like it needs to be applied over raw wood
I used Orientated strand board for the sidewalls but painted them first before I knew about the fire retardant coating
Bummer

Back