reinstalling engine in frame

Yamadogrick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, getting ready to reinstall my engine into my 77 frame. Removed it using the tried and true method of removing most mounts/bolts and tipping frame over onto blankets to slide the motor out. Any tricks you all use to reinstall the motor? I'm thinking reverse the process, fitting the bottom bolts first (backwards?) when lined up and then one more upper set of bolts and raise her upright from there. Any tricks you've found to ease the process most welcome! TIA Rick, in Florida

I'd say reverse of pulling it. Lay motor on its side and carefully lower the frame over it. I pulled mine with the bike still in one piece so I'm not really sure this is the way to do it. Otherwise you've gotta pick up an almost 200 lb engine and put it in upright. I'm a pretty strong guy, but I think I'd much rather hold the frame than the engine.

Just get a buddy.

leave the side covers off (less weight and easier to lift)

Put the engine on the left side of the bike, pick it up, while your buddy reaches through the frame to help hold and guide it.

have your lower frame bolt ready to go, as well as your back bolt.

takes about a minute or so to load and secure.

I know a lot of people like the frame over motor method, but I prefer to load the motor into a rolling chassis because while it may be a bit easier to load the frame over the motor if you are alone, this usually means you kinda got a DIY set up which can make getting the forks and wheels on without a good stand a pain and much extra weight to be lifting around to do so.

that’s just one other set of eyes lookin at the situation. Works either way.

I've found the motor goes in and out easier from the right side. The left side of the motor is narrower so it's easier to get it through the frame .....

k0VQMbq.jpg

This also allows you to leave the right cover on the motor.

I've found the motor goes in and out easier from the right side. The left side of the motor is narrower so it's easier to get it through the frame .....

k0VQMbq.jpg

This also allows you to leave the right cover on the motor.

well there ya go, even easier! Haha.

seriously takes about 2 minutes to do.

Definitely the right side.:thumbsup: Bottom bolt and the lower rear bolt then set the assy upright. Piece of Cake.:thumbsup:
motor-frame 003.JPG motor-frame 002.JPG motor-frame 001.JPG

Yes, it's pretty easy with a helper. I made up some lift handles that allow us to lift the motor like a stretcher and wiggle it in and out of the frame .....

fPVHbkZ.jpg

urN4sFu.jpg

Thank you guys. I've got my frame on a lift ready to install forks and wheels, so I'm going to go with laying the roller over onto the motor and just bolt her up and set her up on to the side stand, seeing that the left side of motor allows a little more clearance. Sometimes you just need a little more clarity and good advice. :)

I made some lifting handles like 5twins
Couldn’t have been any easier, didn’t have to lay the frame down, just protected frame with rags

Back