Removed and redid my clutch . . . but . .

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I just took the basket off, replaced the thrust bearing and washers and etc . . . then put it back on. I never marked anything and am sure it didn't go back on the same teeth. Clymer never said to worry. But . . my question is when I was putting it back together I noticed a little hole in the inner basket. . . this lead me to believe that I should have taken more care in marking my teeth and such.

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Did I screw something up and if so how do I fix it?
P1030779.jpg

your clutches look dry. you should let them soak in a pan of the same motor oil you intend to use overnite. your pressure plate has a matching hole that lines up with that. what is the red on the nut? locktite? Make sure you get all the old gasket material off .
other than that did you torque the nut to manual specs? your doing fine.

your clutches look dry. you should let them soak in a pan of the same motor oil you intend to use overnite. your pressure plate has a matching hole that lines up with that. what is the red on the nut? locktite? Make sure you get all the old gasket material off .
other than that did you torque the nut to manual specs? your doing fine.

i will soak them tomorrow. what oil do you run? i haven't even put a thought into oil types yet. it's not locktite, it's grease that was holding the thrust washer on per the clymer.

also, what are the torque specs? didn't see that at all in the clymer.

ive got yamalube 20/50 in it right now, I just recently got it running. had to split the cases because of a collapsed piston, so I tore it apart, and since it was cleaned out motor, I use assembly lube. now that I ve started it a few times, I need to dump it out, and look for junk in the screens.
I plan on running rotella t-6 diesel oil do to its resistance to shear since the transmision shares the same oil as the motor. I have a 2003 suzuki marauder 800 that I have rotella in, also, and the clutch is smooth as butter, and the shifting is much more positive. but don't take my word for it. I based my decision on facts, and fellow suzuki rider's experience. many say dont use deisel oil because it has a tendeancy to hold ash/soot. welll, i dont know bout them, but I change my oils every spring. rotell's cheap too. itsays its synthetic, but it isnt a true synthetic. Ive said too much. the oil nazi's will here me. shshshshshsh...........
your doing good , dude. keep going. use common sense, and read your manual.

- that hole is the mark you use to line up your pressure plate
ClutchIndexSet.jpg

- torque...clutch boss 18mm
...early manuals suggest ...13m-kg...94ft-lb...early 6 plate
...XSB manuals suggest ... 7.5-8m-kg...54-58ft-lbs...7 plate
...XSE manuals suggest ... 6.5m-kg...47ft-lbs...7 plate
...later special manuals ... 8 m-kg...58 ft-lbs...later 6 plate

Last edited:
Back