Removing the starter

Fossi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read quite a bit about removing the starter engine and I can't seem to find any info about the eletrical bit. Can I just remove the starter and it's cable or will I have to terminate that electrical loop in any way?

I've read quite a bit about removing the starter engine and I can't seem to find any info about the eletrical bit. Can I just remove the starter and it's cable or will I have to terminate that electrical loop in any way?

Yes, just remove starter and its cable. Blocking of big hole in sump needed of course.

The solenoid and "heavy" battery cables can go too. And the big battery might as well be tossed, then the battery box isn't needed........... LOL

Can I revive this? How does the bike get any power if the starter solenoid is removed? Even with kick only, the bike still needs power unless you have a pma correct? Even with a dead battery you cant kickstart the bike. Im more interested in the wiring removal then the gearing.
And can the safety relay just be unplugged once the starter solenoid is removed?

Yes you still need a battery if you don't have a PMA.

You can remove the heavy battery cable on the negative side but need to replace it with another one, "normal" gauge.

Yes you can also remove the safety relay, not needed anymore. Simplifies wiring a bunch. My bike is a '78 so I actually added a (generic) relay to turn off headlight while motor is not running (or turn on headlight as soon as motor is turning...) since the battery is smaller and I always forgot to turn the headlight on.

I forget how I did exactly... But if I could figure it out so can you. My bike still uses the stock harness, if you have more questions I can post pics etc.

Besides the heavy starter cable running off your positive battery terminal, there is a smaller red wire that runs to the main fuse. That supplies the rest of the bike's power.

The safety relay is a dual relay unit from '78. One relay is for the starter but the other is for your headlight. If you simply remove the relay assembly on a '79 or later model, the headlight won't work. You have to supply power to the blue/black wire coming out of the relay and going to the headlight to get it going again.

Okay, So I can remove the starter solenoid but I need to run power to the fuse via the red wire.
As for the safety relay, can I also connect the L/B wire to the red wire? Or should I tap the L/B wire into something else to get the headlight to run properly?

What year is your bike? Things are different depending on it. If you keep the safety relay IIRC all you need to do is bypass the solenoid. At least on '78.

Sorry, mine is a 79sf. Id like to get rid of both the solenoid and the relay. No point on having the relay w/o estart.

OK if I remember I'll take some pics when I get home, 79 should be same wiring more or less. Mine is still the stock harness modified just like you want to do apparently, well with a lighting relay.

I need to replace the whole thing there's a lot of unused wire on there after ditching turn signal cancelling gizmo and reserve lighting unit. Those are now replaced with a nifty between the ears setup.

Sorry, mine is a 79sf. Id like to get rid of both the solenoid and the relay. No point on having the relay w/o estart.

Hi Kathos,
like the joke sez "Don't go! It's a trap! There's two of the bastards!"
Or, the safety relay has two solenoid switches powered by current from the alternator.
One of them opens so the starter can't be operated when the engine is running.
OK, with the starter removed you don't need that one.
T'other one closes when the engine is running to turn the headlight on.
And that one you are stuck with because your bike don't have a headlight on/off switch.
Alas, they are both inside the same little module.
best you can do is remove some of the wiring.
Or you could splash out and buy the earlier model handlebar switch that does have a headlight on/off switch.
Alas, that'd take more wire, not less.
You are still stuck with the starter button too.
At least, that can be converted to function as a second horn button rather than have it just sit there.

Hi Kathos,
Or, the safety relay has two solenoid switches powered by current from the alternator.
One of them opens so the starter can't be operated when the engine is running.
OK, with the starter removed you don't need that one.
T'other one closes when the engine is running to turn the headlight on.
And that one you are stuck with because your bike don't have a headlight on/off switch.
Alas, they are both inside the same little module.
best you can do is remove some of the wiring.
Or you could splash out and buy the earlier model handlebar switch that does have a headlight on/off switch.
Alas, that'd take more wire, not less.
You are still stuck with the starter button too.
At least, that can be converted to function as a second horn button rather than have it just sit there.

Lotta useful info there.
It seems like a simple on/off toggle would fix the headlight problem no? If I put a switch between the L/B wire and power.
Looking at my wiring diagram Here Im guessing that I need to keep the estart housing because of the r/w wire from the fusebox feeds the r/w wire which returns to the coils?

OK if I remember I'll take some pics when I get home, 79 should be same wiring more or less. Mine is still the stock harness modified just like you want to do apparently, well with a lighting relay.

I need to replace the whole thing there's a lot of unused wire on there after ditching turn signal cancelling gizmo and reserve lighting unit. Those are now replaced with a nifty between the ears setup.

I posted me wiring diagram above. Thats basically what I did, got rid of everything I didnt need. I would like to see your pictures.

Oh my, the '79 diagram is fairly different from my '78, it won't help you much in that area... Indeed the safety relay appears to do 2 things.

I did put back a generic relay for the headlight as such:

20140317_165728.jpg

But my solenoid/safety relay elimination is very simple, I just unplugged everything and ran yellow to my new relay.. (ignore the black wire connected to red, it's a bad shortcut should be red):

20140317_165712.jpg

Just remove starter switch, starter, run a wire from the battery to red fuse box wire, leave negative heavy gauge one, and leave relay(s) in place.

As for removing light checker, etc. maybe check for info here or similar threads.

Good luck

So Ive been staring at my wiring diagram for hours now and it looks to me that if I place a toggle switch between the R/Y wire from the fusebox to the L/B wire on the safety relay that would be the ticket to eliminate the safety relay? Or If I didnt want to use a toggle switch, I could use the R/W wire from the "Engine stop" switch. Is this correct?
79-xs650sf-2f.jpg

Edit I also found this picture. Shows hows the safety relay works
index.php

Last edited:
So Ive been staring at my wiring diagram for hours now and it looks to me that if I place a toggle switch between the R/Y wire from the fusebox to the L/B wire on the safety relay that would be the ticket to eliminate the safety relay? Or If I didnt want to use a toggle switch, I could use the R/W wire from the "Engine stop" switch. Is this correct?
79-xs650sf-2f.jpg

Yes, put a toggle switch from the R/Y to the L/B, and that will get the headlight working.

Back