Removing top and bottom tree

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mission tomorrow is to remove the top and bottom triple tree from the forks so I can put on fork boots I found at a flea market.

Do I just loosen the bolts on the side of the top tree and the nut in the center and it comes off? and are pinch bolts the only thing holding the bottom in place? will that just slide up off the forks?

So much going on up in them trees..

no

put bike on centerstand
remove front wheel
remove fender if you have it
disconnect caliper from fork lower
loosen fork tube clamp bolts
slide fork tubes out

actually already had all the rest of that done.
Posted this too quickly though. Decided I should check on it and just went out there and figured it out. Took the top tree off which I guess I didnt really need to do, but just loosed pinch bolts on the bottom tree and slid the forks out. Simpler than I thought It was going to be.

Thanks though, had I not already had it on blocks I probably would have been stupid enough to try and remove the trees rather than the forks.

This actually leaves me with a scary thought..Are the pinch bolts on the top and lower tree the only thing keep the forks from sliding up through the top tree:confused:

Or am I missing something..

I would hope as long as you are that far into the fork you put in tapered steering bearings. Does your steering have "self centering" where it takes a little effort to start turning and it wants to go back to tracking straight?

Actually it's friction that holds those tubes in place. The bolts are just there to apply it.

Ahh Science.

I would hope as long as you are that far into the fork you put in tapered steering bearings. Does your steering have "self centering" where it takes a little effort to start turning and it wants to go back to tracking straight?

Yeah it has self centering. What do tapered steering bearings do?

That "self centering" is the ball bearings having dented the races. The "center" is when they drop into the dents. Roller bearings with their larger bearing surfaces will not dent like the stockers often did. While the Centering seems nice realize that it also means there is slop in the head when the balls are in the dent allowing the wheel to flop around instead of being held properly in place. Pretty straight forward install, a couple of illustrated threads exist. $30 or 40 for the parts. Dented races are very common on any old bike with some miles on it and ball bearing steering.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the info. I didnt even notice the self centering till I had it on blocks. I thought it seemed cool, but now I see your point. I'll look into that and see if I can find the threads on the install.

Back